Search

It’s here.

Go forth and test.

Sleep or Symphony…

Think I’ll give it a test!

Should it be possible to get the new SMTP Email system to send something from a symphony install on my MAMP localhost through Gmail’s SMTP servers? Experimenting with that right now, not having a ton of luck.

Yes, you can.

As a host, you should use smtp.gmail.com, use ssl on port 465. Use authentication, using your email address as a username (username@gmail.com) and your password.

Also, the from email-address should match your gmail address.

Works fine for me!

Thanks, got it to work now!

The Email API is very cool. Great work guys!

Just one question, though. There has been a long standing issue with email notification events: the entry will be saved even if the email fails. Is this an intended behaviour? I would expect that if the email is not sent, the event should fail as well.

It’s a courtesy notification email letting you know that a new entry has been created (such as a new comment on your blog), so the entry should still be saved even if the email cannot be sent.

I agree with Nick. The entry should be saved anyway. But we implemented email filter results which can be used to give feedback to the user. In the default workspace, you will see the message

The system encountered technical problems while sending your email.

if sending fails.

So in this case the user knows that something went wrong. If he complains about his email not being sent, you can still look up his message in the backend.

If only the system could email you to let you know it failed to email you :P

That makes sense. I suppose the issue is more about the importance of testing and field validation.

I seem to remember a case where I was trying to build a member registration system (with a member section and a member profile section) and a user would be saved in spite of a failed email event. The username would no longer be available, since the entry had been created. So, it’s more a case for validating fields before the event has a chance to fire.

But my memory fails me, so I’m not sure if that scenario even makes sense.

It appears to me that SubSectionManager has some issues with s2.2beta. Should I file this as a s2.2 issue or a subsectionmanager-issue? I get multiple errors. Like, when I want to edit a section it states:

Fatal error: Call to a member function fetchCol() on a non-object in […]/extensions/subsectionmanager/fields/field.subsectionmanager.php on line 93

And on the frontend i get the following error:

Fatal error: Cannot access protected property FieldManager::$_Parent in […]/extensions/subsectionmanager/fields/field.subsectionmanager.php on line 612

It’s both. There are some fundamental changes to the way things are done in Symphony 2.2 so extensions will definitely be incompatible. I have suggested a fix which might reduce this, but we’ll see. You should log this against the Subsection Manager.

2.2 beta2 is available.

If you’re testing via Git, you’ll also need to make sure you grab the integration branch of the workspace repo.

@Craih, the ZIP link is broken — the http:// part is missing.

Just making sure you’re paying attention, Michael… Fixed.

Also, I’d like to report a bug in your last comment :P

Ooooh, sorry for the bug! Good to see that you’re paying attention! :-)

I think you should change your name!

Craih, very ‘new-age’.

The version number is still 2.2beta in the config file.

I had to remove the “static” from the documentation function in my custom events.

I had to remove the “static” from the documentation function in my custom events.

Right. Will note this is the user docs for this version.

No need czheng, it should be static. I’ll make a few commits today to address some of the bugs from Beta 2.