Search

Is there a way in the Symphony backend to have a section which when you create an entry, it posts it to Twitter to give me a “via www.my-website.com” after the tweet? Just to brand the tweets.

I know it can be done front end, but thought it could be quite cool to be able to do it in the backend with everything else!

You might be able to customize my New Entry Notice extension to do that.

If you would be happy using tumblr, it can listen to feeds from your site to do just that, and it can cross post to twitter and other services. Ping fm is also a free hosted tool to manage your flow into the interwebs…

Ping fm has an email feature so you could post email from within symphony to pingfm and out to the socialsphere? might be wrong here though.. worth checking.

Would both of what @newnomad and @moonoo2 say it’s from my website though, or will it say posted via ping.fm / tumbler?

Does the New Entry Notice display the site it was posted from? The reason being is to brand tweets, so rather then saying another service, it will advertise the website.

I believe email to tweet is out then, but tumblr listening to rss feeds might be good; try it, or ask their forum.

You would have to modify NEN to do that. Now it just places the notice in another section on the same site.

I have started developing a ‘Notify Twitter’ extension that will directly notify a Twitter account (details stored in the preferences) with a frontend event, and using delegates for the backend entries.

However, due to family (and work) commitments, I’m not sure on the timescale for release.

@designermonkey.. this does sound cool! push to twitter from within CMS.. great feature idea!

I got the idea ageeeees ago, but didn’t know enough to do it, then this thread reminded me.

Using @wisolman’s existing event + modification probably wouldn’t work without serious modification as there’s oAuth to consider, and the Twitter API.

It’s still in skeleton status at the mo, but fattening it out shouldn’t take that long really… It’s just the gaps between availability to develop that will ramp the time up.

Sounds good @designermonkey.

Anything to test currently to try and help out?

Nah, not yet, it’s still skeletal. Just pulling all the API classes together, then I can integrate with Symphony architecture.

But don’t worry, I’ll have something to play with soon ;)

Thanks for the offer of testing. As it’s a ‘social’ extension, ‘social’ testing will be greatly appreciated!

John, there has been a “Twitter Notifier” extension ages ago, made by Wilhelm Murdoch. It was no longer compatible with newer versions of Symphony, and he has since removed it from GitHub.

Maybe you can contact him (he still has a GitHub account) and ask for his code. Might be an inspiration.

(I only have a somewhat “crippled” version of this extension — some people changed things without using git, so I don’t know which part of the code is original…)

Wow thanks for the hint Michael, I will do that now!

Trying to understand oAuth and it’s extended class for Twitter is difficult, but I’m getting there.

Wilhelm won’t have this in his as it’s a new authorisation method, but it would definitely be a great starting point.

Cheers!