Search

Dear Symphony Community,

After the great success of the Symphony Symposium 2010 in London, we are happy to announce the second gathering of Symphony enthusiasts: The Symphony Developer Conference 2011 in Cologne, Germany. From beginners to experts, this three-day event from September 30 to October 2, 2011 invites all designers, coders and XSLT lovers working with Symphony to join the talks and discussions.

Click here to lend your support to: Symposium 2011: Symphony Developer Conference, Cologne, Germany and make a donation at www.pledgie.com !

As we are expecting a lot of foreign guests, the conference will be held in English.

Registration

http://getsymphony.com/get-involved/events/symposium-2011/

Agenda

Friday, September 30th

Time Topic
10:00 Arrival and breakfast snacks
11:00 Allen Chang, @allen
Symphony Technical Lead, Australia • Symphony Team:
Keynote
11:30 “Barcamp”-style sessions
introduction of the participants combined with small-ish project presentations (backend sneak peeks, glimpse into work flow / work ethic, advanced XSL, APIs and JSON, Git workflows)
16:00 Community Sightseeing
ideas: tour of the Cologne Cathedral / boat trip / walking around the city center
19:00 – Dinner –

Saturday, October 1st

Time Topic
9:00 Allen Chang, @allen
Symphony Technical Lead, Australia • Symphony Team:
The Future of Symphony
10:00 Nils Werner, @phoque
Web Developer, Germany • Symphony Core WG:
Git+Symphony
11:00 Jonas Coch, @klaftertief
Web Developer, Germany • Symphony UX/UI WG:
Managing Multilingual Content
12:00 Nick Dunn, @nickdunn
Head of User Experience, Airlock, UK • Symphony UX/UI WG:
A Brief Introduction To Search
13:00 – Lunch Break –
14:00 Nils Hörrmann, @Nils
Web Designer, Germany • Symphony UX/UI WG and
Simone Economo, @eKoeS
Student of Computer Science and Engineering, Italy • Symphony UX/UI WG:
Symphony 2.3 Interface Realign
15:00 Stephen Bau, @bauhouse
Lead Designer, Domain7, Canada • Symphony Advocacy WG:
Modular Site Development
16:00 Johanna Hörrmann, @Johanna
Communication Designer, Germany:
Introducing Symphony
17:00 Huib Keemink, @creativedutchmen
Web Developer, Netherlands • Symphony Core WG:
Michael Eichelsdörfer, @michael-e
Web Developer, Germany • Symphony Core WG
Email Power in Symphony
18:00 – Break –
19:00 – Dinner at Mercato Deluxe –

Sunday, October 2nd

How can we improve Symphony? Open discussions and development sessions:

A Author workflow in the Symphony backend:
How do we implement an author workflow? How could the Symphony core help us? Can we improve the core functionality and/or UI? (e.g.: relationship management, subsections)
B Symphony extensions: Duplicate extensions, quality issues etc.
C Symphony 2.3 UI
D Symphony 2.3 default ensemble

It would be nice if other Symphony users and developers could join the discussions via Chat. (Time slots will be announced during the weekend.)

The German Symphony community would love to welcome you!

If there is special interest in a certain talk or workshop topic, please post your wishes here.

Would love to come. I live in Cologne. :)

Will it be in German or English? (I'm still not very good at German yet.)

Ah, thanks for the question. I forgot to mentioned that: As we are expecting a lot of foreign guests, the conference will be held in English.

I updated the initial post accordingly.

We expect Allen to give the keynote (he doesn't know yet).

I guess I am!

If there is special interest in a certain talk or workshop topic, please post your wishes here

Given that this meetup is going to be an international affair, I'd like to see some discussion on how we can build multi-lingual sites with Symphony, or how this could be approached in Symphony 3.

Given that this meetup is going to be an international affair, I'd like to see some discussion on how we can build multi-lingual sites with Symphony, or how this could be approached in Symphony 3.

I can prepare something for that.

Maybe also a discussion about abandoned extensions, ways to enable people to adopt them and more general, how to sustain the high quality of the extensions and utilities found here?

I'll talk about my research findings that knowing how to develop with Symphony makes you 23.22% sexier.

@nickdunn: What happened to your avatar?! I feel so lost.

Back to serious mode:

That would be great, really!

I didn't touch it. Gravatar fail?

Alongside multi-lingual sites, I'd appreciate a talk on building taxonomies/gerarchies -- something I always found difficult to achieve with Symphony.

I didn't touch it. Gravatar fail?

Apparently so :)

It was not me. I didn't even look at Nick's Gravatar! :-)

Alongside multi-lingual sites, I'd appreciate a talk on building taxonomies/gerarchies -- something I always found difficult to achieve with Symphony.

I don't even know the meaning of these words, so you bet that I would listen very carefully!!!

taxonomies/gerarchies

I guess that's a typo? for hierarchies?

I guess that's a typo? for hierarchies?

Even worse: that's a coinage coming from my mother tongue's "gerarchia" (hierarchy, yes)... I'm pretty good at creating neologisms, don't you think?! ;)

from my mother tongue's "gerarchia"

Thanks for teaching me another italian word (while listening to Lucio Battisti, no less)!

On topic, this sounds like a lot of fun, and Cologne is certainly within reasonable travelling distance for me.

So excited to see Symphonists from all over the world signing up for the conference. We better get into serious organizing mode, fellow Germans, huh!

Likely to attend

Please submit any registrations here:

http://getsymphony.com/get-involved/events/symposium-2011/

There's an option "Maybe attending" as well!