Search

We've recently been thinking about how to use XSLT 2 with Symphony, and in particular how we could make this functionality available to interested Symphony developers. A Symphony-optimised hosting service seems the best way to go for this, which could at the same time provide us with a business that can sustain full-time development on Symphony.

Here's a brief wishlist for such a service:

• An XSLT 2 processor for use with page and utility XSL transforms
  • Apache FOP for XSL-FO support, which allows certain media formats (e.g. PDFs) to be produced with XSLT
  • Symphony site deployment via an integrated control panel for pushing local Symphony sites or creating fresh Symphony instances for new projects
  • Automatic Symphony updates

Airlock, the company we've recently partnered with, has turned this from a fanciful idea into a real possibility, and they've also put together a survey as part of market research to help us decide how to best establish this service.

If you're at all interested in this, please take a few minutes to fill in the survey:

{$funkyJavascriptSurveyLinkEww} (It opens in a popup window, apologies for that!)

Post any questions you have in this thread, and we'll do our best to clear them up.

Many webshops might do both django and symphony projects and already needed 'specialized' hosting for the first. Then would be reluctant for another account for the latter? Unless you'd offer both, surpassing what is currently available for django?

Link seems to be fixed.

I was so busy thinking about the questions I didn't look to see if there was a back button. BUT, while I might pay $50 or $35 for any one add-on, I would not be inclined to pay that for every add-on.

BUT, while I might pay $50 or $35 for any one add-on, I would not be inclined to pay that for every add-on.

Yeah, unfortunately the questions seem a bit confusing/misleading. I'm pretty sure this is not the intention. I'm also informed that the advertising questions pertain to a completely different service to the one I described above. I'll get this cleared up as soon as I can.

some side-line thoughts:

The Economics of Giving It Away
The free Google App Engine with included - more simple then django- Python web application framework called webapp.

Interesting idea... Could be great to get new users into symphony.

How would this compare to an EC2 bundle or something similarly cloudy? I would say my use for this would be in the ability to easily provisioning more sites/domains for clients while possibly using the same xsl codebase. Ease my pain & redundancy of shared reseller hosting. The question of xsl2 seems to have pretty significant development ramifications, yes?

provisioning more sites/domains for clients is indeed essential, and scalability such as MT's grid and amazon would be nice.

As for xslt2, I even found complex 1.0 transformations to work only on testxslt but not with the xsltlib processor in a life environment.

Are we talking about Symphony going down a 'Good Barry' or 'Shopify' model?