Search

Visible Version... It would be really useful to have the version of Symphony being run available somewhere easily visible in the (default) admin interface. I didn't know whether I had installed Rev 3 or not since I had just done a bunch of work in the last few days. I ended up looking at the table schemas in my db to figure it out.

Auto Update It would be very nice if like Vanilla there was a "you need to update" mechanism in place.

Themes Right now (and please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm a new user to Symphony), it seems that I change the live xsl pages in order to change the theme. It would be nice if I could apply a set, or unapply a set easily via the UI. It would also allow for people to easily distribute and test out themes.

Those are my thoughts for today. Thanks for creating it. It is teh awesome!

The version number should definitely be visible, so I've added a bug report for that. The functionality underlying Symphony is more interesting to "theme" than just the visual style, so most website packages will have a unique database structure and front-end. And I'll leave auto-updates to respond to later. :)

Auto-updates follow-up:

Updates post v2-final will be published as patches, usually with a small number of files to replace and nothing more, so they won't require the same amount of effort as current beta builds.

Auto-update functionality (in the same way this worked for v1.5 and earlier) is gone and will never come back unless PHP gains much better support for it. This style of updating creates a hassle for the user having to maintain appropriate permissions, a security vulnerability in having PHP-writable files/directories, and a nightmare for us (meaning Alistair) to build and rigorously test each update, which inevitably leads to a less stable and secure system.