Search

Hi,

I cannot get Symphony (2.2) proper running on an All Inkl shared server (presumably PrivatePlus). When I use their PHP 5.2.12 version, the backend (login, etc.) is running, but the frontend throws an Internal Sever Error (and I cannot read the server error logs nor I’ve found anywhere a hint how to enable error logging – guess not there). And if I use PHP 5.3.1, I get the following:

mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: OK packet 6 bytes shorter than expected
/www/htdocs/v123/_DIR/symphony/lib/toolkit/class.mysql.php line 277

272             'database' => $database
273         );
275         MySQL::$_connection['id'] = mysql_connect(
276             MySQL::$_connection['host'] . ":" . MySQL::$_connection['port'], MySQL::$_connection['user'], MySQL::$_connection['pass']
277         );
279         if(!$this->isConnected() || (!is_null($database) && !mysql_select_db(MySQL::$_connection['database'], MySQL::$_connection['id']))) {
280             $this->__error();
281         }

which probably belongs to this.

Backtrace:

[:0] GenericErrorHandler::handler();
[/www/htdocs/v123/_DIR/symphony/lib/toolkit/class.mysql.php:277] mysql_connect();
[/www/htdocs/v123/_DIR/symphony/lib/core/class.symphony.php:263] MySQL->connect();
[/www/htdocs/v123/_DIR/symphony/lib/core/class.symphony.php:130] Symphony->initialiseDatabase();
[/www/htdocs/v123/_DIR/symphony/lib/core/class.frontend.php:53] Symphony->__construct();
[/www/htdocs/v123/_DIR/symphony/lib/core/class.frontend.php:35] Frontend->__construct();
[/www/htdocs/v123/_DIR/index.php:13] Frontend::instance();
[/www/htdocs/v123/_DIR/index.php:25] renderer();

I’ve tried and seeked … but without success yet. Does someone of the All Inkl users has a hint or pointer? Or anyone else? I’d appreciate it.

I can't really help with your issue beside letting you know that I host my sites on all-inkl.com's PrivatPlus plan without any problems (using PHP 5.2 and MySQL 5). Have you checked your install logs for errors or have you contacted their support?

Installation seems fine. Installed it via the install script as well as manually, all with the same result. The strange thing is that if I use PHP 5.2 the Symphony backend (login, editing, saving – administration) is working fine, but not the site itself – 500 Error. Tried it without htaccess (only the php-cgi part remaining), which throws parse error

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_NEW in /www/htdocs/v133/_DIR/index.php on line 10

The MySQL version is 4.1 (for a newer, one has to move to another server it quotes). If this’d be the cause, shouldn’t it fail for backend as well then?

Support not contacted, yet – sadly not my account – but seems to be the way to go …

Oh, two things I forgot. First thanks for your reply. Second, can I read the server error logs on PrivatePlus somewhere? There’s a /log directory, but only access logs, etc. No error logs nor I’ve found something about error logs in KAS.

Edit: 500 Error solved. Seems that it doesn’t like script tag thang with CDATA in templates.

@nils would you mind sharing your workflow/permission-settings for all-inkl. I’m running into rights problems with them now and then. Right now the 2.3.1 installer chokes on rights-problems on a fresh account :(

The exact current problem is:

Root folder not writable

Solved … creating a subfolder (like public_html) for all web data and using this as the domain root works.

Creating a subfolder is exactly what we do as well – we did so from the start for being able to create an updated version in a separate folder on the same level. So we often have something like this in combination with subdomains:

/announcement (static, announcing an upcoming site)
/website (the actual Symphony install)

From time to time you'll have to reset ownerships for folders and files created by Symphony. But there is a tool for that in all-inkl.com's KAS.

Yepp, I know that tool :)

Thanks Nils!

Hello animaux,

I have been on All-Inkl's Privat Plus plan for a number of years now and I am hosting at least a dozen Symphony sites on their servers. I've never had any problems with them so far, uptime is close to 100% and the service personnel have been extremely helpful and... quick!

I keep all my sites in subfolders named after the domains, e.g. designbits.de. Sometimes it's necessary to reset the owner permissions on those folders (or the workspace folders) using the Besitzrechte tool in the KAS. This has turned out to be a bit of a pain in the long run, however. So if anyone knows how to circumvent this, please let me know! I can't afford dedicated hosting for now, so I am stuck with their shared hosting plan :-)

'@Timo' I have had similar issues, thanks for sharing!