Search

I'm slow, but I'm making headway!

Sneak peak

sneak peak

@lewis, are you doing a website overview of GA or what Nick suggested with the GA field that is unique to each section/entry?

@lewis, are you doing a website overview of GA or what Nick suggested with the GA field that is unique to each section/entry?

Definitely both. :) It was just easier to start with the authentication and overview.

Done with the overview for now (basic for now, lots of functionality to add). On to the field.

sneak peak

My code is bollocks right now, but I'm just trying to understand how things work. There will be a rewrite before I release version 1.

Looks awesome. I'll be very interested to see how you did this once you release it. Nice one.

Sweet! Don't forget to consider a Dashboard panel... and deep links out to GA itself to inspect reports in more detail :-)

So! People should list their ideas/wants here (or if an area already exists, then it should be easier to find!). Then I/developers can come on here and say "ooo damn what an ingenious idea, dibs on creating {insert extension here}".

Has anyone already tried to port Github's Gollum editor to Symphony (the one used in the wikis)?

Wonderful work Lewis!

Resave entries has been released!

Thanks guys! Having fun and learning better coding along the way :)

Sweet! Don't forget to consider a Dashboard panel... and deep links out to GA itself to inspect reports in more detail :-)

Planning on a Dashboard panel (already have the extension installed!). Great idea on the deep links, thanks!

could this thread potentially be used to recruit or solicit assitance for extension development, or is it more common etiquette to just start on your own and accept pull requests and see if sparks fly?

(open source noob, if you couldn't tell)

Whichever you prefer. This thread is a great list of ideas that have been rolling around in peoples' heads. If you fancy working on one, then it would make sense to acknowledge it here, start a new forum thread to discuss the idea separately, and create a new repository on Github that people can contribute to.

Some people like to develop privately and only put on Github until it's in a working state, while others will use Github from the very first line of code. It's up to you, and how much collaboration you want to foster!

I think it'd be a great idea to create an alternative version of the JIT Image Manipulation Extension.

JIT is a great tool, but it is build on GD. A version build to work with ImageMagick would be a great improvement, both image quality and performance.

Look at Rowan's image-jit repo. It is exactly that

Since recently google picasaweb now uses drag and drop html 5 to add images to an album. Also you can click to edit a picture in picnik.

An extension that provides these functionalities (possibly wit some options to combine the features we have from other uploaders such as creating an entry per image) would bring symphony into the realm of desktop GUI's, and be sheered at by all non technical authors.

But how would that work in a section? Files are uploaded and saved to the entry as you save the entry. How would auto-uploading work?

The Bulk Importer could be modified to allow drag and drop instead of/as well as the default file browser dialog, but I can't see any other way of using such a feature...

In picasa indeed it auto uploads. But maybe there is an in between, not uploading upon dropping but just displaying a list of thumbs, or just one thumb, and then upon save ...

I'd just like to add one picture to the media manager by dropping it on it, rather then by browsing my computer for the file. Then save the image (and a cropped version at the same time).

Or... you could go the other way around and write a (modify a picasaweb) plugin for iphoto to upload to a specific 'album' in symphony, using the symphony REST api.

This might be related: I have been missing a proper media management in symphony for a while now. The subsection manager by Nils has been a big improvement over a regular upload field, but it still feels clumsy.

At this moment, a "real" image/document manager is on top of my wishing list.

@creativedutchmen That indeed was a common request in the Symphony survey. I'm curious, what does a 'real' image/document manager include? I've never had the need for such functionality so I don't really know what people are looking for.

@newnomad, @designermonkey IIRC Firefox 5 enables all file form fields to automatically support drag and drop (that's out tomorrow). As for a DnD uploader, I thought someone already had one working...

That indeed was a common request in the Symphony survey.

Surprise, surprise! I agree with @creativedutchmen. The workflow to choose and append/insert images/files to and entry is hard for my clients as well. Using the subsection manager, you can solve some of the problems, but it comes at a price: It challenges authors with an unknown (and rather complicated) interface — maybe the extension is trying to be too clever. :-) Additionally, the interface still feels a bit wonky. I personally would love a solution with less effects, being more streamlined.

(At the same time I have great respect for Nils' work on the Subsection Manager. This has been a very big and complicated project, and I am sure that this extension is used on many many Symphony-driven websites.)

I'm curious, what does a 'real' image/document manager include?

In Symphony 1.7, we had a "repeatable" upload filed. As soon as you added one file, you got another "choose file" button. That was easy for clients. But they were not able to add descriptions, nor re-order the files — requirements that should be solved somehow. (This probably lead to the Subsection Manager idea. But the Subsection Manager concept is much bigger; it tries to solve every possible usecase.)

No, I don't have a concept right now. But it's worth to think about it.

@creativedutchmen: Do you already have any ideas?