Search

@bauhouse: for sure !

Request for a Field Description extension. I remember that Symphony at one time (long time ago) had descriptions, but no more... Since it isn't possible to localize field names, I thought descriptions would be a good alternative. Also helpful for adding tips, e.g. do not copy and paste from Microsoft Word.

@Pat There is the Custom Field Caption extension.

@klaftertief: Gold. Thanks!!!

Another request: Extension update checker so if those with a ton of extensions can easily see which ones need to be updated.

Hi,

I have an idea about datasource improvement :

Actually I cannot find an easy way of transforming a field or a group of fields into something else using php.

Option 1 : creating a special field's extension for that. It means that each time the field's evolve, the extension has to be regenerated. That also requieres knowledge of symphony core.

Option 2 : editing the datasource php file and including manually the transformation for the field or group of fields that are aimed. That requieres knowledge about datasource class and related + it brakes the graphic edition of the datasource backend.

What I propose is to have a panel for custom datasource fields into the datasource page. Each custom datasource field has :

• A name whose node will contain the callback in the XML
  • The url of the page to call
  • The list of parameters (name/value) : the value can be either a datasource field or a custom value.

The real problem I am confronted to is about a lot of ajax calls client side while xslt cannot help transforming the field.

Have you considered using normal datasources and attaching them to a page, then using XSLT to transform the datasource(s) into a format you want? From this you could set the page type to be XML and then load the page as a datasource using the Dynamic XML datasource.

You lose parameter output in doing this, but it would work

... then using XSLT to transform ...

This is not wanted brendan :) I want to use php code or java code for transforming or web services...

Example: I need to parse a BBCode from a field and transform it into html. XSLT is for transforming XML to something else. So actually a simple call to a php page brings the code transformed. The problem is that it can't be done server side easily.

Why not just a BBCode text formatter?

Why not just a BBCode text formatter?

It wasn't so obivious to do at the begining, but it is done now. Thanks for advice Craig.

I've just had an idea for a Ninja Zen Extension.

The idea is to create sections, datasources and pages (or may be just sections) from text in a similar way as Zen Coding does. This way you can use a tree structure that you created to plan the site to start the project for real.

@renan_santos, I'd like to see that, too. Defining data models with text/PHP

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but was thinking the other day about links from external sites to pdf's or media files and the requirement to prevent direct linking to said files.. would there be a way to provide files with a "no external linking option" ? I get this a lot with S3 stored media files on a wordpress site and It's desirable to force the user to visit the page where the files are located rather than have them link to them externally.. any thoughts? does it make sense?

Sort of like this method of encrypted url on each page load : Amazon S3 Secure DL

EDIT Just spotted this Extension which might be a way to create it: http://getsymphony.com/download/extensions/view/69859/

it's desirable to force the user to visit the page where the files are located rather than have them link to them externally

That kind of thing really annoys me :-P A resource has a URI so it should respond on that URI. But if it's important to you, you can disable hotlinking with a few lines in your .htaccess file. Not sure how that might work on S3 though.

Hey Nick, The use case is more of a logged in members thing.. but if they atre logged out, the same resource is still available on that url. Completely agree on the URI once published is a n agreement and should stay intact. Hence why its more about securing the url/link for logged in users... I guess the .htaccess rule would help here though.

What about a browser detection extension?

@into: what kind of browser detection are you thinking about? Do you mean specifically mobile devices or just any type of useragent parsing?

A browser detection extension would be very nice!

@remie: Any type of useragent! The more specific as it could be! :D

There used to be one. I'll see if I can chase down a copy.

@czheng: Post it here if you find it, I would be interessed too...

I would also be interested in a nice way to implement a mobile version of a currently existing Symphony site. I thought about offering a XML page that has the XML data of the current site in order to "import" it via a custom XML DS in the second (mobile) one. But this would duplicate content management systems (and logins) and environnements.

How about having "dynamic" templates for pages. Would this be possible ?

I am thinking of is - Based on some params (preferably customizable), user gets redirected to a new domain. - When a page is requested, a check is made based on the domain. If it matches the alternate template setting, load the alternate xsl, with the same XML data

I am feeling this is not the optimal scenario... any ideas ?

EDIT: We have a starting point : http://getsymphony.com/discuss/thread/642/

A lot of people seem to want browser detection so I quickly whipped this one up, https://github.com/superminge/browser_detection

If that is to peoples liking I will release officially.

It detects browser, version, platform, mobile + more and outputs them in the parampool.

The class I used has more detection than I used as well, so could be extended out to include said detection.