Search

A new extension, "Breadcrumb Field" is now available for download. Comments and feedback can be left here but if you discover any issues, please post it on the issue tracker.

I've been playing with this tonight. This is a really interesting approach to building hierarchical data structures; very much unlike any of the other linking fields I've used before.

Thought I'd take a few screenshots too - I think it looks really nice as well.

Entry editing: alt text

Datasource output options: alt text

The current release contains a small bug - after creating a field, you'll need to edit the MySQL table and remove the depth column. Sorry about that.

Breadcrumb Field updated to version 0.2 on 1st of June 2011

Changelog

• Improved interface, it no longer forces the following fields down the page.
  • Fixed a bug with extra columns being created in field tables.
  • Fixed a bug where breadcrumb would appear above the menu.
  • Added better usage instructions with screenshots.

"Large steamers" sounds like a pretty X-rated cookware store.

God damn it Nick. Here I was trying to come up with the most boring category names (no, really) and you still managed to make it dirty. :P

Breadcrumb Field updated to version 0.3 on 9th of June 2011

Changelog

• Added a "tree view" interface that turns your publish table into a hierarchical list of entries.
  • No longer fetches full Symphony entries, instead it fetches only the data it needs.
  • Always outputs the path to an item in datasources.
  • Improved integration with unstable Subsection Manager; it displays the full path instead of the entry title.
  • Fixed a few miscellaneous bugs.

The new "tree view" interface

Wow, that looks beautiful!

I know a few people who have been clamouring for a tree view for a while, so thats an awesome little addition to this extension.

Veeery nice.

Sweet chicken!

So I botch together my own hierarchy with Subsection Manager, SBLs and several migraines - then you go and develop this. It's definitely going on the list for when I clean up the admin side of my current project! Excellent stuff.

Is the tree view able to be output in hierarchy on the front end or is this an admin only feature?

And the award for the best comment goes to:

Sweet chicken!

This is going to be the extension of the year. Super-cool!

Yeah this looks amazing, a potential replacement for Nested Categories I wonder. Can an entry go within more than one breadcrumb category, i.e. can you create polyhierarchies? If so, it'd be nice to specify one primary category, and then the others.

Excuse my possibly dumb question, but should this field be used for any hierarchical relationship? I find the 'breadcrumb' thingy a bit confusing: this seems perfect, especially with the publish view tree goodness, for e.g. a 'page content' section...

Yeah, that's the idea David :)

Nick, nah, I don't feel like loosing my mind just yet, it can only do simple single parent linking.

I find the 'breadcrumb' thingy a bit confusing: this seems perfect, especially with the publish view tree goodness, for e.g. a 'page content' section...

I agree, it seems more than a field for breadcrumbs :)

Think of it as a breadcrumb editor gone wrong.