Search

Take a look at your manifest/config.php file. Is the Active Members Section section set in your preferences file? There should be an array of values 'key' => 'value' pairs for the members extension.

###### MEMBERS ######
'members' => array(
    'cookie-prefix' => 'sym-members',
    'section' => '1',
),
########

Also, make sure that the field handles are lowercase. Change this:

<label for="fields[Email">Email</label>
<input name="fields[Email]" class="text" type="text" />
<label for="fields[Password]">Password</label>
<input name="fields[Password]" class="text" type="password" />

to this:

<label for="fields[email">Email</label>
<input name="fields[email]" class="text" type="text" />
<label for="fields[password]">Password</label>
<input name="fields[password]" class="text" type="password" />

Also, make sure that the field handles are lowercase.

Indeed, just looked at the code and I believe it expects the usual lowercase handle.

Genius. I knew I did something stupid like that. Thanks, you two--you probably saved me a couple hours of frustrated head-banging.

So, per this answer, it isn't possible to send an activation code in the welcome email?

It is possible. Use the Email Template Manager extension and create a data source to filter the Members section entries by the $etm-member-id. This data can be used to populate the recipient field for the email template.

Then you create an email template that uses the data from the filtered member entry.

..but you need to be logged in, right?

is this right?

oh! i see it

Logged in for what?

The user is not logged in when registering. Every user defaults to the Public role. Then you can set a member role for a registered user who has not yet activated their account, such as Inactive. On successful registration, an email can be sent to the user with the activation code. The email can contain a link to the activation form. On successful activation after clicking the activation button, the user can be automatically logged in (this preference is set in the Members: Activate Account event) and the member role is updated to the default role specified by the Member: Role field of the Active Members Section.

Doh! Too slow.

Does role stuff work? I can't understand how to set it, change it, etc. I'm getting very inconsistent results. Even errors with the table view vs. entry view

Table view shows not yet active ( correct ) because I added
<input type="hidden" name="fields[role]" value="5" />
to my registration. That SAME entry shows public and claims to change to Member when activated. After successful activation the role is not yet active and the entry has left it as not yet active even though it claimed it would switch to Member per my section setting.
:(

Hopefully I can clear some things up for you.

When creating a new Member, it's recommended to use the Member: Lock Role filter on your event. This ensures that the new Member is set the correct default Role.

In your case it looks like you are also using the Member: Activation field, so the Role you set on this field is a new user's default Role. Once they activate their account, their Role will change to be the Default Role set by the Member: Role field.

The Member: Activation role will always override the existing Member: Role's value when a Member is not activated. The Activation Role works as a mask, so when a user is not activated, the Activation Role is just 'subbed' in JIT, you don't have to set Member: Role to the inactive role in your form markup, you should just be able to select it on the Member: Activation field.

I think where this has tripped up is that you have explicitly set the Role to ID 5, so it won't actually swap to Member, it'll leave it as Role 5. Regardless, I think there is a bug here, because the message when a Member is not activated should use the Member: Role's value if it is set, and only if it isn't fallback to using it's Default Role.

EDIT This should be resolved now

Thnx.

it's recommended to use the Member: Lock Role filter on your event.

I'm using that

In your case it looks like you are also using the Member: Activation field, so the Role you set on this field is a new user's default Role.

I wasn't setting a role on the activation page, because it said that activation as an event would make it switch.

I'll check out the update, thnx for the help.
It'd be great to just see a single clear example in the docs for these features, just one piece of HTML?

Its still not working :( I have no idea how to user roles successfully. Whether I make it explicit or don't specify it doesn't function. Again, when I activate a user, it doesn't change their role. Why?

While this is the plan..

In your case it looks like you are also using the Member: Activation field, so the Role you set on this field is a new user's default Role. Once they activate their account, their Role will change to be the Default Role set by the Member: Role field.

it doesn't function like this..

What happens when you add Lock: Role to your Members: New event?

The Members 1.1 Beta is now available for testing.

Download

Changelog

• Member: Username and Member: Email uniqueness is now done by handle, rather than value
  • Member: Activation and Member: Role UI has been updated to better show a Member's role while they are unactivated
  • Fix sorting and output parameter of the Member: Activation field
  • The Member: Reset Password event now works correctly with the Member: Email field when no Member: Username field is present
  • Addition of the Italian localisation
  • Other minor miscellaneous tweaks and fixes

How you can help

This update has no breaking changes and should be a drop in replacement for the 1.0 version. Safety first though, please backup your existing Symphony before installing this Beta. Please test and report any issues that arise from using the 1.1 Beta via the issue tracker.

If English is not your native language, and there is not an existing localisation available for your language, we encourage you to create a one and submit a pull request! The Localisation Manager is a great tool to help you quickly create localisations.

Attachments:
members.zip

Is there an easy way to fetch members of a certain role from within a custom event?

I was willing to use the EntryManager, but then I saw fetchMemberFromID() in the members API.

Either way I'm stuck because I would like to fetch with the role ID. Should I use WHERE on entrymanager->fetch() ?

The ultimate goal is to get emails of people from a certain role.

Thanks for your help!

I am currently working on a new website and this members extension sounds like a perfect fit for it.

I have been trying to set up ETM to work in conjunction with the members extension; and I have decided to use activation as I don't want people posting content without having a valid email address. However I cannot figure out how to get the activation code appear somewhere in the XML output to use within the template.

I am able to obtain event details or information on the registered member just no activation code. Any help would be greatly appriciated

Are you using the Lock Activation filter on your creation event?