Search

I (I'm Pixelninja on Github) made some rudimentary changes when 2.3 was released so I could use it asap, so it should work but it is by no means perfect. It still uses the Stage submodule and there are probably some deprecated methods in use still. And there are some bugs with it that have been present since conception, like multiple instances in one section and screwed up widths being applied to the groups after saving.

Is this extension still being maintained by brockpetrie? If not it would be a good idea to move it to Symphonists and let the community maintain it. It's a bloody useful extension after all.

have a look here and here. Unfortunately I have little time to get my hands on it. So feel free to fork it.

@Phillip:

It's definitely my goal to continue developing this. I intended to make big strides over the summer getting a stable release for 2.3, but the project that I had hoped to be my pretext for that ended up getting lassoed into Wordpress instead (much to my chagrin— can't win em all). However, now that I'm wrapping up with that project, I'll be able to reconnect with this estranged child.

In all honesty, I've barely had a chance to play around with 2.3, so that'll be first priority. But I'm definitely itching to get back to this. I always felt bad about not getting the dev branch to a stable release, so I'll let that shame fuel me a bit.

Can't thank you forkers enough though for keeping this afloat in the meantime.

I'd love to use it in 2.3

But now I am a little confused @iwyg, @touchstone, @brockpetrie: Is or is this not safe to use in 2.3? And if it is, what branch/fork should I use?

Sometimes it gets a bit difficult to keep track of the various branches/forks of extensions :/

Out of the box, I highly doubt mine works with 2.3. They created their forks specifically to accomodate 2.3, so I would definitely recommend theirs over mine for that.

From what I understand (and I might be an idiot, so, grain of salt here), touchstone's fork is the closest to my original, with the only changes being ones necessary to make it work with 2.3. I think it was iwyg's to go for a bit of an overhaul, taking advantage of some of the new things in 2.3 (Duplicators and such) and adding a few bits of a his own (date field, etc).

I'd say both of them are worth trying out.

Thanks for answering @brockpetrie.

It seems @iwyg's fork works fine (with the little testing I've done).

It is not possible, I assume, to add support for textarea fields?

I am looking for the best way to build support for a page-content section to multiple (n) 'page-section' or 'page-blocks' (containing at least a title, textarea and possible other fields).

The page design requires a front-end page to contain a variable set of those blocks and – since the page-blocks are tightly coupled to the page-content – I'd like to be able to edit those 'inline' ( as opposed to linking entries of another section).

Your dynamic text group sounds the ideal candidate except for the fact that it does not seem geared towards 'content-heavy' items. I've thought about SSM but that also seems a hack.

Any other extension-candidates for a 'variable set of sub-blocks'?

@davidhund not wanting to hijack the thread but if you are after variable quantities of textareas along with other field types for a page content section, have you looked at Rowans content_field?

@brockpetrie, welcome back to the land of Symphony :)

@monoo2 that sounds indeed like something I am looking for. However, I cannot find any mention of it on this forum and symphonyextensions mentions it's 'experimental'. Hopefully @buzzomatic can enlighten us.

To go back to Dynamic Text Group: this would fit my scenario perfectly (in function and interface) if only it would support textarea's with a editor. Is there any reason it is not a good idea to add a textarea field?

hi guys,

is iwyg's fork working for you? i just installed it on a 2.3.1 symphony install and it does not output any content in the xml for the dynamic text group field. the data-source is basic, no-filtering, element in question is included but output is empty. maybe i'm missing something here. any ideas?

Hi. To be honest, I wasn't sure about the state of my fork since I haven't worked on it for a long time now. You're right, there is no xml output at this time and I doubt there will be any in the near future. I got my hands on this extension because I did fit my needs at this particular time, but, as always, project requirements change. And so I kind of abandoned the work on it.

I think the appendFormattedElement on the field class is still the original provided by brooke and since I changed almost everything I guess it won't work. I'm sorry for that.

[Edit:] That said, if anyone is keen on completing missing methods and stuff, go ahead :)

[Edit 2:] Ok, ok, I added some basic xml output… should work ok for arbitrary field types. That doesn't mean that you should use it. There are many other bugs.

thanks iwyg, i tried your fix but the output it generates features element names which are sole numbers so xslt processor goes wild. i changed that to be just generic "item".

[edit] for everybody interested i reformatted the output to wrap each text group entry in its own element here: http://bit.ly/QcJRpu. the layout is now somewhat table-like which is what i needed. the programming is almost certainly dilletantic and it does not account for the various other field types. so use at your own risk :)

Dynamic Text Group updated to version 3.0 beta 1 on 18th of January 2013

Hey folks, 2.3 compatibility has arrived, finally.

3.0 beta 1 is up and available here. I need to run it through the testing mill, so please throw stuff at it til it breaks.

For those of you who don't mind getting your hands dirty, this version supports dynamic values in the select box. Check the readme for more info.

Yipeeee! nice work Brock.

Will pull changes and test.

Hey folks, 2.3 compatibility has arrived, finally.

Testing. Love this extension! Smooth so far...

Good to hear!

There are some outstanding issues from the previous version (such as no support for multiple instances), so I'll be squashing those in the next update.

i just installed this on my 2.3 site and when i hit the add field button in the section editor the page reloads and nothing happens. it seems as though the javascripts i.e. dynamictextgroup.fieldeditor.js are not even loaded.

ok, sorry, please ignore my confused mumblings *grml the problem was me again. the site was still reading the old fileeditor.js from the cache ;)

Cache is your friend but sometimes.. grrrrrr :

Chrome console settings "Disable Cache" is my friend :P, especially when developing.