Search

Hi,

As I've been playing around with writing a extension I've been wondering whether I'm totally missing something or if it might be useful to have a special/built-in "attachments" or similar section in Symphony? In this way, you could write an extension knowing that all attachments would ultimately be stored in this well-known section and that the section would have a specific schema. This would in turn allow you to create new fields types or text-formatters in extensions that use that information to reference attachments in "data-model driven" way rather than via direct file paths etc.

In most wikis, for example, there's generally some markup that embeds contents such as images from attachments. In Confluence as an example if you just do !myimage.png! then it will automatically embed the attached image in the page. As it stands in Symphony if I wanted to write a text-formatter that does a similar thing then the extension would have to create an extension-specific section to store attachments or be highly configurable to pick up the attachment information from a custom section. Either way this seems like a non-trivial thing to do for each extension. It also seems like functionality that would be very useful for more than one extension and therefore might be good to implement at a lower level....?

Any thoughts?

Simon