Search

A new extension, "Twitter Notifier" is now available for download. Comments and feedback can be left here but if you discover any issues, please post it on the issue tracker.

awwww yeaaaah! glad to see you conquered this thing.

Twitter Notifier

The Twitter Notifier extension will allow you to send status updates to registered Twitter accounts, from specified Authors, and specified Sections.

I've spent a long time getting the oAuth process right, and I've learned a lot doing this extension. The oAuth process works in a separate window, which you will need to close when the process is complete.

Installation

1. Upload the 'twitternotifier' folder in this archive to your Symphony 'extensions' folder.
  2. Enable it by accessing your administration panel and navigating to 'System -> Extensions'.
  3. Select the 'Twitter Notifier' entry by clicking on it and select 'enable' in the 'with-selected' dropdown box. Click the 'Apply' button.
  4. Go to 'System -> Preferences' and add your Twitter Application details. To register an application for your site, go to http://dev.twitter.com/login and follow instructions.

Usage

A new menu option is available under 'System' called 'Twitter Accounts' where authors can register Twitter accounts to monitor sections of Symphony and post when new entries are made by specified Authors. The account creation process is as follows:

1. Click on 'Create New' to open the new entry page.
  2. Sign in at Twitter to authenticate the website and application with the account.
  3. Choose the section, and it's fields, one field is where the value will be taken from that Twitter will link to in the URL. The other is for the message to start the tweet with. The message will be truncated and the link added.
  4. Select the Page your entries will display under.
  5. Advanced: If you require any additional Url parameter values, use the text input field to add them. $field in this box represents the parameter field you chose earlier, and is required for the notification process to target a specific article.

Information

If you want more than one section to notify the same Twitter account, you will need to input the Twitter account more than once. This problem will hopefully be addressed in the future once the extension has been in production for some time.

Planned Features

1. Logging of Twitter Notifications. All notifications logged with Tracker, will ask Craig for help on this one [Need Help]
  2. Event. To post on user comments or other frontend submission. Should this just be a filter? [Hard]
  3. Create Datasource. An action in the accounts index, and a button on the edit/saved page to create a datasource for the account, of the status feed. Will utilise the dynamic datasource functions of Symphony. [Hard]
  4. Members integration. Create the Twitter Accounts menu item as a new main nav item with sub pages for Authors and Members. Allow account addition for registered members. This is just an idea, and use cases need thinking of to justify it. [Too Hard For Me!]

Help Required

I think I've done enough to allow the UI for this to be translated, someone correct me if I'm wrong, and if anyone would like to translate this, please do!

Also, if anyone would like to assist in the planned features, please do, I have less and less time these days (and why it's taken so long!)

Thanks for everyone's patience, and thanks to Wilhelm for the original idea and version.

There are 4 issues logged for this extension on the Github tracker, if anyone would like to comment or offer assistance, please feel free.

If you find any issues or bugs, if it's something you can fix, please fork and do so, I will happily merge fixes. Anything else, please log it and I will attend to it as and when I can find the time.

Ta.

@fawx, thanks, it's been killer. Had to take a break to clear my head of oAuth before finishing it off, it was quite confusing!

Thanks for the hard work!

I've just updated the Github wiki for this extension to include some info on registering your app with Twitter.

Thanks to Michael for noticing I forgot to explain this step.

@designermonkey, thanks for the hard work on the extension. Has anyone been able to get this to work with Symphony 2.2.3?

Thanks Brian, are you having specific problems, errors?

The thing is it doesn't seem to be doing anything. I followed the instructions verbatim, but it doesn't seem to be posting to Twitter. No error, nothing. It's weird.

I'll get a 2.2.3 install going and see if I can find anything.

Cool. Thanks!

Brian, I've installed 2.2.3 and run the setup for the extension, and I can't find any problems with it working. Can you run through how you set it up and we'll see what we can do.

It has brought up some parts that need tweaking, but it still works on my install.

Here's my setup...

The Twitter API section in the preferences is filled out properly. I registered my app with Twitter. The Twitter Notifier for my user is listed as active. And here's my Twitter notifier app setup...

alt text

I've tried get this to work on re-saving an entry in that section and by creating a new entry and neither seem to want to work.

Thank you for your help!

It's only the new entry that would currently send a message, and I'm not sure why it wouldn't work.

Have you added the sites url to the the callback field on the Twitter Dev Account page?

The url of the site or the url to that specific section? I have the root url listed.

I totally missed this thread! m( Will try it, first thing, when my vacation is over. Cheeeeeeers! :)

Just the URL to the site should kick start Twitter into accepting callbacks. Its the only thing I can think of that would cause a silent failure...

Tried in 2.2.1 and it seems to fail (don’t know if that’s the reason though, will try and upgrade):

Symphony Fatal Database Error
Unknown column 'Failed to validate oauth signature and token' in 'field list'

An unescape string in a query somewhere? Can you reproduce this?

Yup! The error occurs after pressing the Sign in with Twitter Button.

Attachments:
Symphony Fatal Database Error.png