Search

Hi.

I've been playing around with Symphony lately since I really dig the concept. The only big problem to me is that I18n is not part of the core yet. Living in Europe, you rarely get to create a website that only has one language, so without I18n...

Now, I'm working at a company that builds (multi-lingual) online shops, so I know pretty well that doing I18n right is not easy, but I also think that it ought to be a core feature. Almost any CMS I've come across that does translation through a plugin ends up doing a half-assed job at it.

In Symphony for instance, currently there doesn't seem to be a way to translate field labels (like "title" or "body"). Some may say this is a minor issue, but if your customers really don't understand the - practically - default language...

Part of why Symphony is so great is, that the for authors the backend really only consists of exactly what's relevant to them, because you create your own data models. All nice and well, but it's all of limited use, if there's a language barrier.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is: please make I18n a high priority core feature.

P.S.: First post, and a complaint, i know. Look at it this way: if i though Symphony sucked, I wouldn't even have bothered. ;)

Welcome to the Symphony community, Daniel!

There is a similar discussion going on over here that started just recently - so you are definetely into something: http://getsymphony.com/discuss/thread/75252/. Maybe you could add your thoughts and ideas there?