Search

I'm currently very interested in Neo4j - an open source disk-based graph database. Advantages over relational databases such as MySQL include potentially massive performance increases, flexible graph structures rather than table/lookup-based ones, and a very cool-looking web-based admin tool (which reminds me of a certain CMS I once saw...). It's also fully transactional, so it should be good at ensuring data integrity.

Ruby on Rails users can already use it, and I thought that maybe it's something that would be great for a lot of Symphony CMS sites. Different Symphony sites have greatly-varying data structures and relationships, and being able to use a graph structure rather than having to worry about implications of tons of lookups seems to me like it would be fantastic. It has a REST API, which I suppose could well help with initial integration?

I'm more of an HTML/CSS (+XSLT at some stage, hopefully!) person than a coder, so would be interested to hear developers' thoughts on this.

The web admin

Dashboard

Data

Console

Server info

Videos

Getting Started with Neo4j

Neo4j and real world scenarios

Introduction to Graph Databases

I was about to say 'over my head' but on closer inspection it looks promising. I'm not sure if anyone can add any weight to their claim:

For many applications, Neo4j offers performance improvements on the order of 1000x or more compared to relational DBs.