Search

Would it be possible for the new site to put our XSLT utilities on GitHub's gist?

A gist is just a simple repo, much easier to maintain than a textfield in the Symphony website!

I just did this with String utility functions and that works out nicely.... would be great when updates are hooked into the symphony website somehow.

I'd like that, also since (most) extensions (and Symphony itself) now live on Github too.

The nice thing of Gists is (obviously) that one can clone and fork them. I do wonder though: why not use a complete Repository? Gists cannot accept pull requests meaning that every update/enhancement must be made by the Gist owner. Having utilities as a Repo would allow us to make pull requests etc. Just a thought.

Make sure to discuss this with @alpacaaa since he started working on XPathr a tool to process XML/XSLT Gists.

I've been using a full repo for Form Controls for some time, which has allowed issues and pull requests. Highly recommended. But agreed, using Github/Gist instead of self-hosting definitely takes the burden of maintenance off our shoulders.

I thought of gist because XSLT Utilities tend to be just one file, maybe 2 ... gist seemed to be more appropriate for this kind of mini-repo's. The "embed" options gist provides are nice too.

On the other hand, pull-requests and issues are nice to have... or could the gist comments suffice? (as it did with XSL utilities on the symphony site all this time)

@Zimmen, that's a great idea!