Search

Sorry for my absence..

@animaux, is there a chance for me to take a look at your installation? These bugs are very hard to debug over the forum.

@creativedutchmen no problem! I can create a temporary admin for you. Can send you the details via E-Mail/ICQ/Jabber? Let me know whichever you prefer :)

Great, could you send them to huib [at] creativedutchmen [dot] com? I suspect the error to be within my code, so I will need FTP details, too, if that's not a problem.

@creativedutchmen done! :)

@creativedutchmen in case it’s off your radar: when do you have the time to have a look? :)

@animaux, I have just taken a look (I have emailed you as well, but this might be informative for everyone).

It seems your CLI version is very old - 4.4.9 - and I could not get PHP to do anything useful at all. Even a php -i would return an error complaining about index.php. Something is definitely wrong here, unfortunately I don't have the powers to fix this.

So, if you have any problems with the ENM not sending any emails, please post which version of the CLI you are using.

Thanks Huib and Michael for your awesome work!
@Huib,
at the symposium you said you thought you could get this extension to work with 'open base directory' (antagonist hosting). It would take 5 lines of code i remember you saying...
I also get the message 'shell_exec() has been disabled for security reasons' when clicking send...
You think there is still hope for me with my current hosting?

Yes, this is quite doable. However, it does require you to dive in the actual php code a bit. If you are comfortable with this, the key is to change the shell_exec call to a curl call to let apache run the script.

It will require a few changes in the actual code, and unfortunately I don't have the time to do them and test them properly, but you could give it a try and let me know if you run into problems.

The most important changes are:

Make the cli.backgroundprocess.php accessible via a url. Ofcourse, since this will allow any person to send campaigns, you will need to build in some sort of safety check - a hidden parameter or similar

Then you will have to edit the cli.backgroundprocess.php file to make the curl call. I don't remember exactly where this call is made, but my best guess would be in class.backgroundprocess.php.

If all of this has succeeded, you will most likely run into problems because the CLI file has been coded with the CLI in mind. These issues are most likely easy to fix, and I could definitely help you with that.

Please let me know if you need more detailed instructions, or if you run into problems!

Thanks Huib,
I am gonna move the site to another host next week.
I am not sure if the 'shell_exec' is supported there.
If not i am definetly gonna try your solution... thanks

Which host are you going to move to? There is quite a big chance I tried them already ;)

Dear Huib,

my host tells me he moved the site to a server sporting a newer PHP/CLI-Version. However, ENM behaves like before. Could you check if there really is a newer CLI-Version running now?

Many thanks!

Alex

Nope, still the same error:

X-Powered-By: PHP/4.4.9 Content-type: text/html 
Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_NEW in ***/index.php on line 10

edit: removed path details

Grghrgh, have to talk to the host again … 1000 thanks for checking!

Huib,

have you ever tried the extension in MAMP? Thing is, I get the same errorless result when trying to send Newsletters in MAMP (PHP 5.3.2). Could there be some interference with another extension or my general site setup? Can even a misconfigured ETM be the problem?

Thanks for your help, oh despair! :)

EDIT: in MAMP I get the following Error in Symphony’s main log:

25. January 2012 11:45 > UNKNOWN: SymphonyErrorPageHandler 0 - 2002: No such file or directory in file /Users/…/symphony/lib/core/class.symphony.php on line 264

YET ANOTHER EDIT: My webhost tells me:

PHP CLI steht Ihnen für PHP 5.2.17 und PHP 3.5.8 zur Verfügung.
Für beide Domains war PHP 5.3.9 aktiviert.

which translates to:

PHP CLI is available for PHP 5.2.17 and PHP 3.5.8.
For both domains PHP 5.3.9 was active.

which translates to:

............................................________
....................................,.-'"...................``~.,
.............................,.-"..................................."-.,
.........................,/...............................................":,
.....................,?......................................................,
.................../...........................................................,}
................./......................................................,:`^`..}
.............../...................................................,:"........./
..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
............./__.(....."~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_...."~,_........"~,_....................,:`........_/
..........{.._$;_......"=,_......."-,_.......,.-~-,},.~";/....}
...........((.....*~_......."=-._......";,,./`..../"............../
...,,,___.`~,......"~.,....................`.....}............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-"
............/.`~,......`-...................................../
.............`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....,__
,,_..........}.>-._...................................|..............`=~-,
.....`=~-,__......`,.................................
...................`=~-,,.,...............................
................................`:,,...........................`..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_..........._,-%.......`

Error still persists though … :(

@animaux: Looks like some kind of extra terrestrial is trying to contact you through the email newsletter manager... :)

@huib: I am still waiting for the new host details... So i don't know them yet...

@cremol it’s the glorious Captain Picard Facepalm! :)

Ahh haha, i had to google that one!

Hmm, I do believe your host has the newest version of php installed in apache, and they do have CLI, it just seems to be misconfigured. Can you ask them to test CLI for you? Maybe you have to call the php executable in another way.

I have tried it on mamp, with varying results. The command called must be tweaked for every installation. I can help you with that if you want.

Thanks Huib! My host has asked for the actual file that calls the CLI. I think I finally managed to find it. It’s class.emailbackgroundprocess.php, is it?