Search

I know the pain. I've used MODx before Symphony :)

I've been running some further tests and I stumbled on another issue. It seems that ENM event doesn't pass entry id to ETM, therefore {$etm-entry-id} filtering doesn't do a thing. {$etm-recipient} works just fine though.

Trying to call $etm-entry-id parameter directly in XSLT template results in xsl parser error; $etm-recipient gives me email address as expected.

Am I missing something? Should ENM be filtered in a different way?

In your datasource, filter by $enm-newsletter-id. This wil be the ID of the entry.

[EDIT]: You must filter the ENM field by this param the get the entry.

P.S.: Take a look at the Big Picture PDF file (which is also linked from the README). It might tell you more about the inner workings.

@thelikeable: while the document Michael provided is very, very useful, I might be able to explain this a bit simpler.

What the $etm-entry-id parameter does is reference to the newly created entry when you are using the event filter. Because the ENM does not create new entries, this parameter would not really make sense.

Instead, you can filter your newsletter section by the $enm-newsletter-id parameter (filter on the newsletter field, not on system-id!) to get the entry information.

I do realise this is a very complex extension, and one that does require some time and effort to get your head around, but once it makes sense I am pretty sure you will love it!

Michael, Huib, thank you both.

You can filter your newsletter section by the $enm-newsletter-id parameter (filter on the newsletter field, not on system-id!) to get the entry information.

That does make sense for sure but my biggest gripe is that such sentence is nowhere to be found in the readme. Yes, it is in the PDF but it should be in a regular text too. I personally haven't noticed the PDF at all (I don't read manuals from A to Z, almost no one does, and from just scanning readme not all necessary information is there).

I realize documentation isn't yet completed but this one sentence is pretty necessary. It could be added in the configuration section (personally, that was the first and most important part I read) just below static recipients for example.

This, and maybe a short note that recipients filtering should happen on ETM level ("Hello $name" example to make it fool proof).

Nevertheless, it seems I have a fully functional newsletter now :) I'm looking forward to final 1.0 release. Great job!

Ah, well, so you didn't read the first sentence that follows the installation instructions, pointing to the picture which says more than a thousand words (and took more time than words)?

What a shame. Fell free to improve the README and send a pull request!

Michael, please don't be cynical. I'm just trying to help.

I did read the sentence but I didn't click on a link because I honestly don't care about big picture of a concept. If that link would be under configuration section then it would be more meaningful.

You have to understand that I was using Email Newsletter extension already and I've been following development of Email Newsletter Manager so I did know the concept behind it and it's features. I wanted to go straight to the installation and configuration.

Also, but that's strictly personal, I don't like diagrams so even if I would have opened it, I would probably close the PDF before getting any information out of it.

I don't feel entitled to anything here; I'm just trying to suggest improvements to important part of this amazing extension. I will write that on my own and send a pull request.

I admit that I was cynical, simply because so much work has gone into this extension already (and I was very tired when I wrote my comment)... Sorry for that.

But, generally, please don't try and implement an extension as big as the ENM without having read everything that comes with the extension.

If you can help with the README, this would be great. I am working on bugfixes and missing features at the moment, and I would like to release v1.0 in a few days. So your help is more than welcome.

Michael, do you guys have any kind of donate button? I will be using this extension for my clients for sure and I am more than happy to buy you a coffee or ten :)

But, generally, please don't try and implement an extension as big as the ENM without having read everything that comes with the extension.

Agree. Lesson learnt. Thank you for your quick answers!

If you can help with the README, this would be great.

Will work on it over the weekend.

Michael, do you guys have any kind of donate button?

Ha, nope. There isn't even one for Symphony!

Will work on it over the weekend.

Cool. Please try and make as many commits as useful, so we can easily follow your changes. At the moment please submit any pull requests to the development branch.

You may have noticed that there is some "heavy lifting" taking place on GitHub. If you have time, you are invited to test the latest code. (The development branch should always contain the coolest changes, hihi.)

Yes, I did notice :) Unfortunately, I had no time to update the extension yet.

I have however written improvements to the readme and requested a pull - let me know what you think.

I will try to update EMN tomorrow.

@thelikeable: Thanks for your help! I pulled it in.

@everybody: ATTENTION

If you are running a Beta version/development code prior to May 22nd 2012 and checking out the latest development code, you will need the following update procedure:

1. Re-save all your recipient groups and senders.
  2. Re-save your newsletter field's configuration (in the section editor).
  3. In your database's email_newsletters table, change all recipients, completed_recipients and senders: Replace underscores (_) by hyphens (-).

This is due to a significant internal change. Handles in Symphony always use hyphens, so the ENM should do the same.

I uploaded the latest beta from the development branch as of a few hours ago, however when I try to install/enable it I get the following error.

Fatal error: main() [function.require]: Failed opening required '/home/publichtml/foobar.com/symphony/lib/toolkit/class.manager.php' (includepath='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/publichtml/foobar.com/extensions/emailnewsletter_manager/lib/class.emailnewslettermanager.php on line 111

I am running Symphony 2.3RC4, should the development branch of this extention even be working on the latest version?

Nope. Sorry, but compatibilty with 2.3 will have to wait until 1.0 has been released (which will work on 2.2.5).

I did it. Version 1.0 has just been released.

If you are using beta/development code, please read the "Attention" section of the README.

I did it. Version 1.0 has just been released.

Thanks, Nick!

BTW #1: There's a new big picture.

BTW #2: In my web app I made it work from the frontend as well. So the API and datasource output are actually working. :-)

ENM released.
Symphony 2.3 relased.
Such a good news :D

Can't wait ETM for Symphony 2.3 ^^