Search

Thank you gunglien, I downloaded the zip from the patch-1 branch (still not using Git with Symphony, I'm learning though).

I can click it now, you are right, but it shows 'None' instead of the default language entry.

I will try the Backend Language Switcher and check some other extension as an example.

Thanks again.

Ah sorry might not have understood. Symphony will show the default language. In your case this is English because there is no translation of Catalan. But having None will allow you to click on the entry.

To see everything in Catalan you'd have to install an extension to add language Catalan. I think even if you have no translations or very few it will still work and show you the text areas in Catalan.

Yes, you're right. That's what I did: I installed an extension for Catalan with no translated strings, set the backend's default language to Catalan and now it shows the catalan value on the entries table :)

I plan on doing a proper translation of the whole file for my client. But it would be nice to be able to share the extension once it's done. Do you know what the steps would be?

First step - create this on your local machine and test it. Then the next step would be to create a github repository name it language_catalan then you need to do some steps in git to link up your extension to this new repository and commit these then push them up public.

Once you're done with that you just have to do 2 things currently. To have it show in the forums - go to the extension section (downloads > extensions) and make your submission there. Then you can login to symphonyextensions.com using github and share the repository of the extension. I'm sure if you're stuck and ask in a forum post we'll guide you through the steps.

Thanks again for your help, really appreciated.

Hello everyone.

I just came accross an error I've been struggling with the whole afternoon.

After installing the Ensemble on the server, I get a Page Not Found error:

The page you requested, /500.shtml/, does not exist.

URL goes like: domain.com/500.shtml/

I found out this happens only when I use the fl:__('') function from the Utility.

fl:namespace is set, and when there are no fl:__(''), I can see the output XML from the translation files on ?debug…

This is the error from the main log:

User Notice: FrontendPageNotFoundExceptionHandler 1024 - The page you requested, /500.shtml/, does not exist. in file /home/einackoe/public_html/provaweb/symphony/lib/toolkit/class.frontendpage.php on line 298

Please help me. Thanks a lot!

Try clearing the browser cache.

Thanks for replying vladG.

Just cleared the cache and the error persist.

I just found out it gives the error also with this bit of code and no fl:__ functions:

<xsl:for-each select="/data/fl-languages/supported-languages/item[not(/data/fl-languages/current-language/@handle=./@handle)]">
<xsl:if test="position()!=1" xml:space="preserve"> / </xsl:if>
<a href="{$root}/{./@handle}/{substring($current-path,5)}">
<xsl:value-of select="substring(., 1, 3)" />
</a>
</xsl:for-each>

If I comment out the " / " bit ( / ), it works, really weird.

Could it be some namespace conflict?

I have to admit, installation of the Ensemble was a bit messy, since in order to try and fix the error I unistalled and reinstalled both Frontend Localisation and flang Detection extensions, with some manual moving of some files included.

So, I erased everything and made a clean install of the Ensemble (in my client's webserver), but nothing. Same error (Page Not Found, /500.shtml/):

http://provaweb.eina.cat

I did the exact same install on my server, and it works perfectly. You can switch language as well:

http://eina.8302.net

Same error from manifest/logs/main:

User Notice: FrontendPageNotFoundExceptionHandler 1024 - The page you requested, /404.shtml/, does not exist. in file /home/einackoe/public_html/provaweb/symphony/lib/toolkit/class.frontendpage.php on line 298

PHP versions:

http://provaweb.eina.cat/test.php
http://eina.8302.net/test.php

Again, some help would be appreciated. Thank you.

(Page Not Found, /500.shtml/)

The page you requested, /404.shtml, does not exist

You probably need to update your Apache configuration to allow for Apache Server Side Include (SSI) files... .shtml

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/howto/ssi.html

Or you can add it to your .htaccess file...

Options +Includes
AddType text/html .shtml
AddOutputFilter INCLUDES .shtml

Either that, or change the 404 file to either 404.html or 404.php.

@cstll_a

Seems everything is fine with Frontend Localisation. Indeed, this line is your problem

<xsl:if test="position()!=1" xml:space="preserve"> / </xsl:if>

Have you declared the xml name space at the top? I don't know what it is used for. You should ask the guy who wrote that line of code. My guess is that you can safely remove that bit:

<xsl:if test="position()!=1"> / </xsl:if>

@bzerangue

Thanks for your reply.

I don't have access for modifying Apache, but I did add those lines to the .htaccess, and created a 404 page, which wasn't there before. Actually there was nor is any .shtml pages at all. I don't know what's triggering this eina.cat/500.shtml/, never saw that before.

@vladG

I got that line from stackoverflow, and didn't pay much attention to that xml:space thing, which obviously didn't make any sense. I removed it, and the snippet now looks like this (which works on my server, but at the client's it keeps getting the error):

<xsl:for-each select="data/fl-languages/supported-languages/item[not($lang-code=./@handle)]">
<xsl:if test="position()!=1"> / </xsl:if>
<a href="{$root}/{./@handle}/{substring($current-path,5)}">
<xsl:value-of select="substring(., 1, 3)" />
</a>
</xsl:for-each>

Main thing is, the same Ensemble works at my localhost and at my own server perfectly. It's at my client's that I get this mysterious error.

Here's a link to the whole master.xsl file:

https://gist.github.com/3905900

Should I create another threat asking for help, since I'm assuming this is not the Frontend Localisation extension's fault, but some Symphony+server configuration issue?

(Thanks again you both for your time)

Should I create another threat asking for help, since I'm assuming this is not the Frontend Localisation extension's fault, but some Symphony+server configuration issue?

Yeap, definitely it's a server issue.

@vladG I will! :-)

@vladG I was having a couple of thoughts in relation to this extension - I think some little tweaks could come in pretty-handy for other developers as well as extensions built on the multilingual.

1. Multilingual Domain Support (this is easy to do with .htaccess but not very easily explained.) maybe there could be an option which takes care of these multiple domains. [Added into the config linked up with the related languages]
  2. FLang would then allow extensions to pull up the language code or language domains / language urls. One such example would be the Multilingual Entry URL fields
  3. The option to use a Symphony Section for translations (ie switching off default translation tab) Anyone who wants clients to change translations & uses source control might have issues using tracked files in the workspace.

@gunglien

1. Frontend Localisation accepts the language parameters as URL GET params. Being as generic as possible, a developer can freely implement a language scheme of choice. FLang detection GTLDs is the example for language in URL. I understand you are using subdomains. Having some rules to silently re-route to ?fl-language=XX&fl-region=YY is doable, right?

2. Regarding Multilingual Entry URL ... Frontend Localisation shouldn't be a routing extension. The issue you raised is a pain and I'm feeling it as well. There is a need of a more abstract Routing component for Symphony which takes care of the URL scheme. That component would incorporate Pages & Parameters, Entry URL, URL Router etc. Just think at building an URL in frontend like: products/:title/clients. This is beyond Entry URL / Multilingual Entry URL's capabilities.

3. In next version of Frontend Localisation I will remove the Translations feature and make it available as a separate extension (based on the Resources concept). I have it already working in my setup. Everybody will then choose it's own translation mechanism (Translations, Section etc).

@vladG

I understand 1 & 2 could be done into separate extensions so there would be complete separation.

I'm actually using separate domains and using .htaccess redirects for FLang detection to work properly. I think it should be easy to do something similar to URL-Router for domains so it would work on any environment not just Apache.

The only thing that I'm afraid of that we'll be creating way too many dependencies in some extensions; so we'd have to work out how to make it easy to understand what extensions are required for what.. as currently might look like guess-work for anyone starting on the MultiLingual stuff

As for removing Translations its interesting so far had to remove it from the Menu because we were not really using it.

Hello, I'm not sure it's a bug or an feature but I have a little problem with the extension.

My website is in Italian and English, Italian should be the default language and it is set as such in the preference panel.

When I create or edit a new entry, though, the tab selected in the multi language text area by default is English, even if it is the second one after Italian.

Moreover, in the section table the data shown is always English. This is a problem when there is only an Italian version of the data as is not possible to edit the entry anymore.

Is there a fix or am I missing something?

Thank you

@iltrico

If your language code is "it,en", then you Italian translation's lang file must be lang.it.php

For the unable to edit you can try use this version for textbox field instead, should resolve the problem. For everything to show up in Italian you need to have the italian translation enabled; and the default symphony language to be italian; otherwise just assumes that your backend language is english. If you're not sure I would suggest trying out Backend Language Switcher which enables you to switch main language for backend/user easily. If a language doesn't come default it means that you have the translation missing.