Search

Thank you Kamwing and Gunglien. I installed the Backend Language Switcher but it doesn't seem to make any difference. I think that I'm missing something.

It's my first project with Symphony 2.3 and it has changed quite a bit.

Anyway I would like the interface in English and the content in Italian, is it still possible?

And what is the purpose of the Main language and Reference language options then?

Thank you!

Ah; there was a change somewhere in 2.3 doesn't exactly work that way... I figured out that in order to have your preference language 'Italian' you would require the Symphony back-end to be translated - so you would need Language Italian to be installed.

After that its an author preference thing or just using the backend language switcher. (If you don't know italian) I would navigate using the standard english interface then just click on the italian flag, all the interface and Multilingual Field will then appear in italian (section names/field stay in main language)

@iltrico We faced both bugs too, I still haven't found what is causing the wrong pre selected tab problem, but I think I've sorted the entries table one. A possible solution can be found in this issue.

@gunglien I see. I was wondering because I also have a problem with the Multilingual Text Box that might be related:

even if I select the option to use the value of the main language when the selected language is empty, it doesn’t seem to have any effect. So those options in the extension preference don’t work anymore?

@alpacaa For the time being I solved the issue by downloading the old “Italian translation plugin” and removing all the values in the dictionary… a little hacky but it works :-)

I’m sorry for all the questions but I’m quite confused right now.

Thank you!

What's the cleanest way to hide the 'Translations' section? I'll be looking to use the 'Multilingual text box' field for input so would rather not confuse the client with the extra menu item that won't be used.

Thanks!

Comment these lines.

Perfect, thanks!

@vladG any-way we can extend to make the 'translations' switch to a section in database without having to modify the core of the extension every time?

You could add a setting and based on it's value return or not the navigation array in this function.

Next version of this extension will remove the translations feature anyway.

Hi All,

I can't figure out how to get the the multi-language field to show another language than english in the tables. It's also the default field when I edit an entry.

I don't understand how to change add a language to Symphony. When I try to add a language as described here: http://getsymphony.com/learn/articles/view/localisation-in-symphony/ I don't see how or wher to change the default language of symphony, there is no option in my preferences and no option in my user settings.

I have the backend language switcher installed, but it doens't change anything when I switch. Can someone put me in the right direction? How do I add dutch to the symphony backend?

EDIT: I have changed line 501 form field.multilingual_textbox.php, like @alpacaaa shows. This solves the table problem. Now the tab that is set to the wrong default language :)

if you want to change the default language of Symphony you'd have to install the language first of all. Look for Language French for example that will install the french language.

Then if you running multuple languages with different translations in addition to all the languages; I'd recommend installing backend language switcher so you can seamlessly change languages on any given page.

@vlafG, once I learned how to take advantage of the “Translations” section I found it to be quite useful, because it allows the insertion of small localized pieces of information in the pages without the need of writing several <xsl:choose> elements to test the current language and return the corresponding translations.

Is there a particular reason why you are planning of remove this feature?

@theBigMandarino the xml structure used in this extension is not practical for everyone to use. I prefer to have these texts handled in the database rather then files, as we use git to push files to production and in some cases clients would want to change the texts.

I think @vladG will split this up into multiple parts so you would have a 'Translation' handling extension which would do exactly that but otherwise separated do show the different functionality.

Is there a particular reason why you are planning of remove this feature?

It will be a separate extension. Frontend Localisation shouldn't bundle it by default.

@gunglien and @vladG, thank you for the clarification: I wrongly assumed the feature was going to be removed and not merely relocated, that’s why I asked the previous question.

Absolutely loving this extension - however I'm having an issue (maybe).

There's a checkbox option when editing the field, 'Use value from main language if selected language has empty value.', which doesn't seem to do anything, or if it does I'm using it wrong.

In my datasource I'm pulling the standard entry 'fieldname: unformatted'. And manipulating the URL does a great job of selecting the language and pulling the appropriate entry. However if there's a missing entry in a language it doesn't use the English entry as expected.

Is there a specific process that enables the use of this feature or is it just not working as intended? This is on 2.3.1 by the way.

hi,

i cannot seem to ever get a nested translations xml like in your readme:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<data>
    <item handle="site-name"><![CDATA[Xander Advertising]]></item>
    <item handle="read-more"><![CDATA[read more]]></item>
    <item handle="image"><![CDATA[Image]]></item>
    <item handle="language"><![CDATA[Language]]></item>
    <item handle="portfolio"><![CDATA[Portfolio]]></item>
    <admin>
        <item handle="edit"><![CDATA[edit]]></item>
        <item handle="entry"><![CDATA[Entry]]></item>
    </admin>
    <copyright>
        <item handle="message-p1"><![CDATA[All rights to the content of this website are reserved to Xander Advertising]]></item>
        <item handle="message-p2"><![CDATA[Copies of any kind obtained without prior permission are prohibited.]]></item>
    </copyright>
    <page-not-found>
        <item handle="title">Page not found</item>
        <item handle="message"><![CDATA[<p>Requested page was not found. Return %1$s to continue.</p>]]></item>
    </page-not-found>
</data>

i only ever get a data element and than all items in one level.

what am i doing wrong?

doh, i just realised that the above example is the data.xml inside the translations folder, not the xml from the datasource. am i correct in assuming that in order to have nested elements like in the example i would have to write the data.xml manually (instead of generating it from the transaltions menu)?

also, is there a simple way to suppress creation of translation files for newly generated pages? i would rather not have them generated automatically as i will probably generate more general utility style files.

also, is there a simple way to suppress creation of translation files for newly generated pages?...

Sorry, not a reaction to what you want, just want to shortly share an idea I am also using. Also to confess and get to proof my barbaric approaches :)

I keep my translations in a WYSIWYG field (so bypassing this translation part of localisation at all), taking each transcriptions by its element (mostly a simple p, as it's only a word or sentence) CSS class name.

Ocasionally I also cheat a bit by having defined a code enriched translation, so not having to get too excessively involved into otherwise important data core transformation patterns. But thats mostly not needed.

What counts for me is that its only a simple DS to get the text, and the rest is done by simple XSLT. So its also independent. Also, I can just copy the whole transcription page and send it to a translator to localize the text in a document with some context pointers. I have multiple pages to separate services.

It lacks some integrity for now (e.g. entry versions would solve, maybe later; or some front-end ninja interface), but I edit transcriptions like really rarely and I got a backup of the whole.