Search

Lately I’ve been running into a problem where the *.lock files created in manifest/tmp are not being removed. This results in my dynamic datasources returning errors like the following in my XML:

fopen(/home/tachyon/public_html/manifest/tmp/749ba0f5a1c35989d83128053e5f2cd7.lock): failed to open stream: File exists

Once I go in and manually delete the files, the data source works properly again.

Any ideas why this might be happening? The tmp directory is set to 0755 and has the proper ownership—obviously Symphony has no trouble writing to it….

Is this on shared hosting by any chance?

What file permissions is Symphony set to write files as? Perhaps if it was accidentally set to 444, it could write them but not delete them.

Is this on shared hosting by any chance?

Yes it is.

What file permissions is Symphony set to write files as?

In config.php, write_mode for both files and directories is 0755.

Try changing files setting to 644 and manually deleting the locks. Wondering if files being executable is causing a security-related precaution by the host to block deletion.

This happened again today. It looks like despite write_mode still being set to 755, the lock file had permissions of 644. Go figure …

Any other ideas would be appreciated. Failing a preventive solution, is there any harm in, say, setting up a cron script that just deletes all lock files in the tmp directory every few hours?