Search

I just wanted to gently remind people to register for the Symposium. Knowing how many people will come really helps the planning, so does some monetary support. I'm sure we're getting better at recording the talks (looking at myself) so that even non-attendees will get some proper value.

I don't want to hide that I'm a bit worried at the moment about the status quo. So I'm looking for some feedback as I want and need to plan the trip and book flight soonish.

I don't want to hide that I'm a bit worried at the moment about the status quo. So I'm looking for some feedback as I want and need to plan the trip and book flight soonish.

No worries my friend, I'm going to post additional details next week. This will include the actual venue.

Great! Thanks, Lewis!

Question

Would there be greater interest from the immediate Symphony community here if the Symposium is moved to New York City, USA?

A question that has come up as we are about to commit to event space...

You do not want to miss this event!

As for myself it shouldn't make such a big difference, as I am planning to stay a week for some meetings in Boston later. The earlier anything is confirmed the earlier we can make the required arrangements. (flights/accommodation) PS. one of my colleagues should be joining as well however he didn't mark the attending just yet - I assume he was waiting for tickets being purchased & accommodation booked.

The same for me. Haven't booked any flights or hotels yet, so I'm still flexible (and eager to know the location).

I would prefer Boston to be honest. It would be my first trip to the US, and the idea of New York scares me a little (too many people, too big).

I haven't got tickets yet as I'm waiting to discuss whether work will pay for them, but either way, I will be there... As long as it's Boston...

Boston does sound cool. Was planning on checking out flights in the week. Any local guide could recommend accommodation choices once venue etc is confirmed?

Either is a good city.. But as a New Yorker I have to chime in that New York is the safest place on EARTH!

We've got sponsorships lined up and committed, the event is definitely happening.

That said, our sponsors are hoping to attract an attendance that's at least on par with what we've held last year and ideally double that if it's at all possible.

Different to previous years, part of the focus this year will be introducing Symphony to new developers/studios/agencies.

But don't worry, we'll still have collaborative workshops for experienced Symphonists.

On the topic of NY or Boston, it's really a question of where would be most convenient for attendees. It seems like the Symphonists committed to going are open to either location, so the question is really about which location would attract the most number industry people interested in learning about Symphony.

I'm not clued up on what it's like States-side, so I'll default to the Americans on this. Either way, we should commit to a venue by next week.

@Aram: not that I think NY is unsafe, but do you remember us accidentally taking the express subway that skipped past over 80th? We were huddled up because I was carrying a laptop. Just saying ;)

Boston +1 :)

I've never actually been over that side of the world.

I'd be more inclined to go to NY, mainly because I think it's easier to get to as well as having more people we could attract through word of mouth.

Also when I think of this event I think of symphoNY.

Allen, I don't remember that! Maybe I was scarred and blocked it?

I'll say this, and it's with all fairness to both (I'm there no matter what and I think both cities would be great), New York might be easier in terms of public transit.

Just so it's clear, don't take this last-minute concern over location as a sign that the event is in jeopardy. We simply want it to be the biggest and baddest symposium to date.

New York might be easier in terms of public transit.

Boston has plenty of public transportation. Boston is also an international gateway for flights, so I don't see that being a major problem either.

The two main differences I can think of have to do with cost and population. In general (i.e. accommodation, food) will be less costly in Boston. However, Boston is a small city compared to New York.

Allen, the ball is in your court. You have my support either way.

I think we should stick with Boston. While the possibility of additional interests that can be garnered in New York, being a bigger city and all, is very alluring, the people who have confirmed to attend seem to prefer Boston.

Personally I'm partial to NY as I'd be able to go to Spumoni Gardens again with Aram and his mates, and also visit Craig and his newborn. That said, I've never been to Boston, so it'll be a new experience so it's exciting either way.

At this stage, people who've committed have more weight than the people who might come. So Boston it is.

Designermonkey, I hope you do come as we are planning to have you as a speaker to do a case study on a recent major project you've worked on.

We're also looking for another agency that could present a significant website they've recently worked on for the event. Who's up for it?

@Allen would like to prepare something if allowed bit might depend on what you are looking for exactly. And obviously being given permission by the company/agency to present something.

Though I'm sure there are plenty of more experienced guys around.

Also guys with everyone mentioning wanting to see NY I was still planning to try sneak in there for a day or two just to have a look. Schedule dependent obviously, but for a 4-5 hour trip those want to see NY can still do it with a Symposium in Boston I guess, just add a day or two to your trip.

Schedule dependent obviously, but for a 4-5 hour trip those want to see NY can still do it with a Symposium in Boston

You bet! If you get here early you could fly into New York and spend a day or two down there before driving up to Boston and fly out of Boston to home, or vice versa.

Hey guys, can you please make sure to have proper quality video recordings of all the talks this time (and make them available in a timely manner)? Would really appreciate it.