Search

Planning to hosting Symphony CMS on Heroku cloud hosting and find it has ClearDB as an addon, does anyone has experience how to host it?

I have no experience with it, but it says it's a drop-in replacement for MySQL so maybe no special configuration will be required.

I see, I wonder how will XSLT work with this hosting too. Could Symphony CMS make use of Java XSLT libraries?

Won't XSLT be done through the XSLT PHP library as usual? You'll need to make sure Heroku has that enabled I suppose.

I guess Apache web server is not use in the cloud hosting so could be idea to see Symphony CMS does not relied solely on Apache web server.

I honestly suggest using a hosting provider that supports the things that Symphony requires: PHP, MySQL and libxml/libxslt. Choose the platform that matches your chosen software.

I agree with Nick. Even if it is possible to use Symphony with other webservers (like Hiawatha and nginx), there is just a whole lot less expertise running Symphony on these platforms.

Which means you will be less likely to be able to get help if something fails.

Also, I just checked out heroku, and it doesn't seem like they support PHP, which is what Symphony was built on. So even if java xslt works, Symphony itself won't.

According to some sites/articles, Heroku started running PHP a while back, though I haven't found it on their site. Whether or not they have it configured to use libxml/libxslt is another thing. I'd be interested to know if you try, @proby2.

Even if it is possible to use Symphony with other webservers (like Hiawatha and nginx), there is just a whole lot less expertise running Symphony on these platforms.

That's true, but I guess you could say the same thing about content management and Symphony. ("There's a whole lot less expertise/experience using Symphony; just use Drupal instead.") I'd say that depending on the user and project requirements, other quality webservers are good options, and webservers are a different thing to full PaaS which may or not be configured in a way that's suitable to realistically use Symphony.

As I understand it, Hiawatha, for example, is much better at following the CGI specs than Apache is (i.e. it actually does follow them!). I've had precisely one issue with Symphony since using Hiawatha (to do with headers being sent according to the CGI spec), and @brendo, along with @michael-e's input, sorted it pretty much immediately. I also think it's good not for any one particular webserver to be so big that it becomes more important/followed than the specs it's supposed to use.

Something else you might like to try, @proyb2: OpenShift. I listened to a podcast on it and it sounds really interesting. I like the no lock-in and open source approach.

It's free at the moment, and I think what they're offering now will always be free and that when your capacity requirements get to a certain level you'll need to pay.

Oh, thanks! Try out the OpenShift and see how its go.