1 users online. Create an account or sign in to join them.Users

Search

I'm creating a little tool to help with the creation of new extensions. It helps you by creating a boilerplate-extension based om your personal preferences, like name, version, repository, but also on what delegates you want to use, or if you want to create a new field.

clickedy click

Ofcourse it's always nice to get some feedback from the community on this on what features it might have or how it can be improved further.

So if you have time and looking for something to play around with and to help the Symphony community with, please give it a spin and tell me what you think!

Image 1

Some options to fill in. Choose type and delegates.

Image 2

Extra options for when you want to create a new field.

Image 3

And even more options globally for your extension.

Album

I'll also try to get a live demo working, but for now you have to put it in a nice little folder on your server.

Looks handy, will give this a try ;)

@kanduvisla - Wow!!! This is awesome!!! Look forward to trying this out.

Cool! This is quite like a UI for Mark's Symphony Extension Developer Kit.

I love that you're generating the list of delegates using the API docs. So the pain was worthwhile after all. You could also get the list of extension types from the extensions site. I will gladly add a @description attribute to this so you can build your UI:

http://symphonyextensions.com/api/extensions/types/

This is pretty awesome, ties in well with some ideas Nils W. And myself were throwing around over the last couple of days!

Wow, yes, AWESOME!

Holy smokes Batman, this is fantastic!

This is quite like a UI for Mark's Symphony Extension Developer Kit.

It kicks the socks off my prehistoric boilerplate attempt and solves the major frustration I had with my single boilerplate - flexibility.

AWESOME.

Perhaps not important for the first version but it would also be nice to include the ability to craft a boilerplate for an admin content page based on Symphony's switchboard approach.

This deserves a "Wooow" !

@nickdunn: the XML for the types looks great, but it would be nicer if it was more 'uniform'; event vs events, fields vs fieldtypes, text-formatter vs text-formatters. That's the reason why I chose the list as proposed by the Symphony Extensions site.

Perhaps it's a thought to send the authors of the 'mis-typed' extensions a message to change the type of their extension. Or send a pull request just for that. But that's a whole other discussion...

@Lewis: I had the same idea this morning:

Rainbows and unicorns

Perhaps it's a thought to send the authors of the 'mis-typed' extensions a message to change the type of their extension. Or send a pull request just for that. But that's a whole other discussion

Yep I have been doing this, both messages and pull requests, but it takes time.

A live demo can be seen/used at gielberkers.com/extension-developer. Please note that this demo does not represent the latest working state of this repository.

Bummer. Perhaps because you just implemented the publish page?

Fixed in this commit

There was accidentally a file deleted from the tpl-folder instead of the export-folder :-P

Interesting for some:

When using this extension I stumbled upon the fact that during the creation of an extension, at some point you might have to add delegates or other functionality.

Instead of having to re-compile and download the extension to copy-paste, I've created a little tweak which gives live updates of your extension while you change them. Makes copy/pasting a whole lot easier!

alt text

If you want, you can play around with the live-branch here. Any feedback is welcome!

I've got some ideas I'm planning on working out very soon like templates for preference pages and such...

I'm am so excited! Just keeps getting better!

This is going to significantly reduce the time it takes to create an extension. For me, that means I'll likely always create an extension and do it the right way instead of cutting corners to satisfy a client.

This is going to also translate into more extensions for the community :-)

So awesome!