Search

Is there an extension around that would allow me to create a type of compound field?

In my particular case I'm just looking to group fields which comprise of a single address. I've seen the Address Location Field extension but in my case I just want 4 simple fields comprising of:

• address line 1
  • address line 2
  • parish
  • postcode

They're relevant to the specific local area so I want to keep things clear rather than use the likes of 'City' or 'Region' etc. I also don't need lat or long coordinates (just yet) or country.

With this in mind I was thinking that a generalised compound field extension may be very useful to have and provide a versatile solution to several situations. Similar in nature to the Dynamic Text Group extension (seen in action here) but with a fixed number of fields in a single group.

Any ideas of how I can handle this otherwise?

Address Location Field.

If you look through symphonyextensions.com you'll find any extension you need and it's version compatibility.

Can I control exactly what types of fields the Address comprises of to match the above? As I mentioned, I saw that extension but I got the impression it came with fixed fields and geolocation?

No, but you don't have to fill them in.

If you're thinking you may need them in the future, using the Dynamic Text Group is a no go, as once the db tables are generated, you can't add to them. It makes sense to use a field that already has the possibilities you may require, otherwise you will end up in a sticky mess as you can't replace a field (yet) in Symphony, trying to do so will delete your data.

If it's a single field you need, pre-plan for the future, otherwise multiple Text Input fields would be better for you.

I wasn't actually considering using the Dynamic Text Group field as it's not really what I need but was just highlighting that as an example of a compound field. I understand your point on possible field problems at a later date however. A good point to raise.

In this case and with the current available options I suppose it would be the best solution to keep them as separate text input fields but I was just thinking about grouping and presentation on the admin interface side of things. It would be much nice for the user to have them in a form of field group as they all belong together. I still think there's potential in a type of generalised compound field group extension for this type of situation—although being new to Symphony I'm not fully clued up on all the implications of such a field.