Search

Hi,

i am currently building a kind of asset management site and would need to process high resolution images for generation of different versions and sizes of the original.

so i basically need to upload (in whatever way) a high res .psd file and be able to specify what versions i want to save and if rescaling needs to be done. the optimum solution would be to initially save just the .psd and set size and format only when an image is added to an entry, but thats pretty complicated i guess.

so the question is: is there maybe an extension i overlooked that does physical image processing and would at least get me halfway there? if not, any opinions on what would be the best way to tackle such a challenge? :)

thanks
daniel

Is it possible to open PSDs without Photoshop then?

Edit: well paint me pink with an airbursh - it seems ImageMagick can.

Maybe resizeupload could be used as a starting point.

yes, imagemagick can and as far as i know even gd2 with an add-on (not really sure though). thanks for the tip with resizeupload, i flew over that one and did not even realize that it already uses imagemagick. i am not a php pro though, so even if i come up with a solution to that problem it will most probably be quite patchy *g

hm sorry, it seems i was to fast with posting here. i was not half way through the mental assessment ;)

what i really would need is something like "JIT image physical processing" where i transform an image on the fly from the xsl but save a version for later download.

so the steps would be:
1. upload high res images (anyhow from the backend)
2. call the image from a template like you would do with JIT (/images/mode/pos...)
3. give wanted format and size as additional parameters
4. called image gets saved with new format and size in filesystem
5. output generated content on screen

is something like that possible at all?

sorry for me being so confused *g
should i edit the post title or is that a no-go?

cheers
daniel

that of course would bring other challanges as well. like, has that particular image been processed before with the exact same parameters? you wouldn't want to save another copy but just take the one thats already there. but then again, you would need to get the newly generated low res image show up in the xml so that you can choose which way to go. or have the processor do the choosing based on whats in the filesystem.

maybe i'm just thinking too complicated?!

Do you actually need to store the adjusted images at all? Would there be an issue with just storing the JIT parameters for the adjusted images and managing them that way? Then you could adjust the header for download later on?

i am not sure i understand what you mean with

Then you could adjust the header for download later on?

but yes, i dont really need to store the images. it would suffice if say

1. i render the page with the scaled down versions of the images on screen
  2. i trigger an export of the rendered page
  3. i get a package containing the generated html and the processed low res images

in that case the image/s would be processed every time the preview is generated on screen which would be ok. asuming the processing does not take ages, which it could i figure with big photoshop files *g

p.s. step 3. would be handled by another extension. somethin galong the lines of the old static sites exporter

By adjust the header I just meant serve the image link as a download.

I believe JIT does have some caching built-in, but I've never had to delve that far into it, so I'm not sure about configuring it.