Search

@NickToye:

What can we do to get the Symphony word out there?

@nickdunn:

Write a book — Packt welcome submissions from the geek community (there are books on jQuery, Wordpres, Joomla etc).

Who would like to be involved in a project to write a book about Symphony?

I’m in. DesignProjectX is part of that process. Who’s going to buy the book if I’ve already put it all out there? But, I think the book should go beyond tutorials:

• History
  • Interviews
  • Galleries
  • Example Code
  • Bonus Extensions and Ensembles
  • A Brief Introduction to XSLT

Maybe we’re not ready for it, if Symphony 3.0 is supposed to be around the corner. But wouldn’t it be great if there were a book release with the launch of 3.0 with insider information from the dev team? Then, there would be no one saying Symphony lacks documentation.

Although it would be brilliant to have a book, I think the online docs are the first priority. I would certainly be willing to contribute to a book in the future.

Agreed. Would be fun to do, but first things first.

I agree. So, what’s left to do? Do we have a roadmap for the documentation effort?

I think a book is a great idea. Although not sure how I can contribute. I’m more about can it be done, rather can I do it…yet.

Although I would like to help if I can.

So, what’s left to do? Do we have a roadmap for the documentation effort?

I think we’ll hear more soon on that front. That’s the impression I get.

We need a roadmap.

We also need:

• An Editor (person or people - Lewis, would you consider yourself the editor?)
  • A collaborative editing env ideally with change-tracking and annotation

I’m sure most of us would love to contribute, but it would be best if we had these things.

More on this front soon. We definitely have something planned and it’s almost coming to fruition. Hang tight!

In case anyone stumbles on this old thread, it should be noted that the book project is actually underway, in the form of Craig’s very promising Symphony Start to Finish, to be published by Wrox sometime next spring.