Search

I've got a site running on 2.3; which needs some sort of design overhaul, to blend in with other sites built for the same company.

For the main project we've created an ensemble which is more or less a package of everything we require. Including pre-built XSLT templates etc; we would just have to alter CSS to match the new website styling.

However this site also has some extra 'sections' not being packaged with the ensemble. I was wondering weather anyone here has ever done a complete import of Sections + Data. As I think long-term it's worth switching the whole database structure since the site does not really handle some content the way I'd like it to be handled (for conformity & maintainability purposes)

Otherwise I guess I'd have to do xml import/export of all the data.

If you're comfortable with Symphony's database architecture, you can do this with SQL. I have done this in the past for migrations, copying all the related field, section, pages and entry data rows as SQL. I then changed the ID's to match the current the site with some simple SQL queries (UPDATE table SET id/entry_id = id - {fudge}).

Otherwise, Scaffolds could be a way to transfer section definitions quickly between sites if the entry data isn't too important.

I was thinking of a database migration, quite comfortable with the db architecture. Was just afraid of possible id clashes. I'll have a look at the section/entry ids. If there's no conflict I would assume it's possible to do.

One minor issue might be that I have a more modern Symphony Version on the one I'd be importing to. Could there be any issues with some fields if I do the import this way?

One minor issue might be that I have a more modern Symphony Version on the one I'd be importing to. Could there be any issues with some fields if I do the import this way?

Only issue I can forsee is if a field has changed the way it stores it's data (unlikely) or if the field has added new settings (columns in the field settings table).