Search

Whenever I upgrade an installation of Symphony to version 2.3.3 I keep getting errors like these...

> Warning: GenericErrorHandler 2: chmod() [<a href='function.chmod'>function.chmod</a>]: Operation not permitted on line 861 of file /www/htdocs/w037h49d/designbits.de/symphony/lib/toolkit/class.general.php

... for example when saving the Preferences page with Enable maintenance mode ticked.

It also occurred to me in number of other situations.

Since I am on a shared host, I guess I cannot enable chmod there? Or can this problem be circumvented all together somehow?

Thanks for any help.

P.S.: By the way, all my manifest and config.php files were set to 777 by me already.

Who is your web host? Could you ask them to adjust that for you? Or maybe they can show you how to adjust that. If not, you might consider moving to a host that will.

I am with All-Inkl.

I just added AddHandler php5-cgi .php to my .htaccess file and it seems to fix it.

Problem is that CGI mode drags down speed quite a bit. I don't like it.

I wonder if there's a better solution to this.

Talk to their customer service: they can move you to a server with the needed PHP version as default. Something they normally can do overnight (at least from my experience).

Hi Nils,

What PHP version do you think I need?

Actually, I just moved to another server with PHP 5.3 installed at the beginning of this year. I did that so I can run the latest Symphony there.

Everything worked perfectly, until I upgraded some of my sites to Symphony 2.3.3.

PHP 5.3 is what you need. Is it the default for your account?
I'd talk to the support – they'll know what to do.

@Tintin81 - You might ask your host to make either 5.3 or 5.4 the default. PHP 5.2 is no longer supported. Hasn't been since 2011. It would be wise of them to upgrade to much later and more stable version of PHP.

@Nils: Yes, it's the default on my server. You never ran into an error like the one I posted above? What file permissions do you select when running the install script on your server? I assume that you are on a shared server, too.

@bzerangue: 5.3 is the default. Do you think upgrading to an ever later version would alleviate things for me?

Leave it at PHP 5.3 for the time-being, that way you can run older installations of Symphony if need be.