Search

Hi,

Is it possible with the members extension to bulk create multiple user accounts with a front end input form?

I have a site where I need to create a form where the user (account manager) can enter a comma separated list of email address that will then create a membership account for each email address.

Thanks in advance.

In your custom event, simply create new entries for each email address. Set the correct data for the fields in each entry and ... Done!

Thanks @vladG that all seems pretty straight forward.

Looks like this project is going ahead now so I've been thinking about it in a but more detail.

So, I guess in my custom event for bulk user creation I will have to generate some passwords for each of the users....

But, what is the best way of informing the new users of their password? I guess the password is never stored so I can't (and shouldn't) email it out to them.

Would the best way be to send them a password reset email? Is this possible to do from the custom event?

Any help with this would be great, never really got my teeth into the members extension before.

There is the activation code method that can be sent via email to each of the registered users with members. Not sure how you hook that up in a custom event though..

This way the ownership on generating personal passwords is back with the user when they are prompted to create a password and confirm activation.

hmm, thats sound interesting. If i have understood correctly, you are saying you can create a member without a password and then send them the activation code where they then make a passwords for the first time?

This does sound like the best solution for me but I didn't know you could create a member without first giving a password. Is this the case?

Will need to confirm this.

Just came across this comment from @brendo on the members thread.

So maybe still not possible? I didn't find anything in the release notes about this feature. Would be ace though if it was there.

I think to start out I will try and get a single user to register by just supplying an email address, generate a random password in the event, fire off a confirmation email using ETM and then also trigger the Members:Reset Password event to fire off a second email with the reset password link.

I guess I'll word my first email like "you've been registered look out for an email to set you password"

If that all works I'll try and extent for bulk user creation but this time use the email newsletter manager to send out the emails. Not even looked into this part yet so have no idea if this integration will work.

Do you think this is feasible?