Search

Hey guys, I'm having a hard time getting Symphony installed locally in OSX 10.9. Mavericks comes with PHP 5.4 natively, so obviously this is an issue with not just Symphony, but a lot of applications.

I have XAMPP installed for stuff related to my day job, running 5.3, but I keep getting empty responses when trying to request any Symphony page. It happens after I fill out the installation form and click install. I can manually access /symphony and login, but aside from that every page is loading with ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE.

I've enabled errors in both php.ini as well as .htaccess, and unfortunately, have had no luck with progressing. I am seeing nothing helpful at all, just the same ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE message. I wonder if there's a conflict with native and XAMPP somehow? I am not running the native Apache at all, and even further, I'm not loading the php module through the native Apache config. If I run phpinfo() it shows I'm running the XAMPP 5.3 version.

Has anyone had to work through something similar to this yet? It's pretty difficult to know what to do without any sort of error being logged.

Thanks

I didn't get a fix for this, but I have a solution. Killing the XAMPP crap and going to go with a Vagrant solution. I've wanted to do it this way for a while now anyways.

Well, never mind, I guess. I'm having similar issues in my Vagrant environment as well.

I'm chalking this up as infamous permission issues, but it's behaving in ways that I'm unfamiliar with. First, it needs permissions and asks that it can write to root. Seen this before, chmod recursively 777 to root, as the github readme suggests.

That usually sealed the deal, but this time, after the recursive chmod, it then complains that it needs writing to /manifest, then after that, complains about /manifest/logs. So whatever folder / file Symphony creates, it's not created with write permissions. The owner and everything of them are correct though.

After that I can finally fill out the install form, but it fails. It doesn't give me an error message, just that the installation failed.

I'm going to assume that Symphony creates more files that aren't writeable, and it's failing because of that?

Can you try the integration branch? I believe this has been fixed (maybe only partially) very recently!

We do have a bug report, #1854 which seems to be definitely along the same lines as your issue.

Taking this discussion to the github issue #1854. Thread can be closed if need be.