Search

Hello, i am looking how to create website with symphony who has multilanguage feature and each language has own content.

I was looking for such extensions, but i found only translation the same content in all language, instead of creating new content.

What if i need to create different content per language? How can it make it?

The approach I use is to add a language value to each entry (e.g. as a select box field of supported languages) and filter these entries by that language value through a page parameter.

Thanks for the answer. Is there any extension for doing that?

I’d second that. No need for an extension. Just use a select box and link to a section of languages in which you could include language codes or simply the name of the language. Then you can filter your pages by these.

@shar, as Alexander said, this is done simple with core Symphony abilities. Select box is a type of a field you can add to your Section, and the filtering is a Datasource feature.

Shar, what you probably want is some sort of backend filtering from my understanding. So one can browse just the language they need in the backend. As far as I'm aware there's nothing out there as of yet. When I did separate languages I always had a content overlap - so I used translation fields, then filtered through the backend with Backend Language Switcher but that wouldn't work with your standard field.

What you can do and it should be very practical is to look at the interface of Backend Language Switcher copy the visuals, and hard code the languages required. Then modify the script to append filtering according to the section you are on. Publish Filtering is the ui for standard filtering however you can use the same url filtering without requiring the extension. If you don't quite understand the idea let me know I'll see if I can give you a better explanation.

Ok, thanks i undrestood how to translate/filter section entries. I created section "Languages" and uesed "select field link".

But i have another question, how to translate Pages title and page url in those languages from my section?

how to translate Pages title and page url in those languages from my section?

You mean Symphony Pages, that holds your datasources? Simply create translated copies of the existing pages.

Yes I mean "Pages", but how can i get translated page url (current language) in home page template, if i want to populate some links?

And another question, is there any way to filter pages by language in administration?

@juro not quite the right approach, I prefer to use page lhandles but I've never quite used this approach for translations before, however should work.

Hey guys, yes, Page LHandles is a possible way. I was only thinking about how to do with core features.

As of me, for the last multilingual projects I tried only a single page (for every language) and the web site's structure was then derived from entries and their relation and not pages.

Question with Page LHandles, how can i filter section datasource in current page lagnuage?

I can't add language parameter, becouse it isn't listed in choices of sections datasource.

Hi shar, there is created an $url-language parameter that you can use to filter datasources.

But in datasource i can't add "language" field, becouse it isn't listed in available fields, although in section i have field "language".

check attachments, please.

Attachments:
no-field.png and field.PNG

In Data Sources do you have language parameter?

I have selected datasource "Included Elements" field "language", but it still dissapear in filter dropdown...

Attachments:
xml-output.png

Aren't the entries filtered automatically, based on the frontend language? Did you checked?

Funny I use these extensions on one site, but the Languages extension came later on into the multilingual (ML) bundle and I didn't utilize it. I use various multilingual fields in my sections and their values are selected automatically by the ML bundle.

No, automatically filtering doesn't exists. In my page i get all items in all languages..

Hm, yes. I would recommend to create an issue at Language's Github repo. There it will be best noticed. Vladg - the extension's author - should guide you further.

Well, a functional way around this Language field would be to use the system Select box field as we talked earlier with your supported languages (e.g. 'en', 'de' etc. whatever you have) instead of the Language extension's field, populate those entry fields and filter them in your datasources with the $fl-language parameter (I mentioned earlier $url-language parameter, but that was from an older site).

But be sure to check first with the Github.