Search

This is off of the back of another discussion about the backend interface.

The purpose of this extension is to give the website developer installing it the ability to deliver a bonafide W3C AA complying backend. Whether for a client that needs/wants it, or even in situations where it's a legal requirement.

So at the moment I'm thinking an accessibility extension should do a few things:

1. Ensure backend compliance with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines set out by W3C.
  2. Provide a mono high-contrast mode.
  3. Ensure that the backend is compatible with popular screen readers such as JAWS.
  4. An option for allowing the visual overrides to be either global or assigned on a user-by-user basis.

I would propose AA compliance as the target, as much of AAA would be accounted for by point 2.

I don't have permanent access to testing facilities for point 3, so this would require some assistance from someone that has access to (preferably) JAWS.

Is there anything else that anyone thinks should be considered, there's bound to be something I haven't thought of.

An important point I'd like to make: I have no idea how well the backend currently conforms. The idea for this extension came about because I know that at least one colour combination in the backend doesn't meet AA compliance - for all I know that's the only thing that doesn't - if that's the case it'll be very little work :) As usual if anyone knows of any other extensions or work that sets about achieving the same aims just let me know!

A little while ago, I did some work reviewing and making changes to the backend in accordance with ATAG guidelines as we had some similar requirements here in Australia.

I stopped short of doing colour contrast checks, but our screenreader support and ability to use the keyboard for creating entries should be pretty much there. I haven't focused on the developer parts of the backend, simply because that is quite difficult and my first priority was ensuring the publishing area is accessible.

@brendo - awesome, very useful!