Search

Is there a quick way to duplicate fields in an section?

I'm working on a multilingual site with 10 languages. I build it with the extension from Jens (multilingual). For this approach I need to duplicate every field for every available language with their own label.

Now that you mention it, duplicate button would be a nice feature. Just click on (+) in the field title bar and boom! a copy is made :D

There is Scaffolds form Brendo but that gives URI limits.

Is there a way to do it with a sql query? Is there an example of which queries are necessary?

@plenaforma, if you know how to use Section Manager - I'm sure you can build it dynamically with some API calls. Far simpler then SQL :)

@Gunglien I'm afraid or better for sure that i'm not capable for that :(

I guess the idea is to make an array of needed languages and then run a php script with the api calls to duplicate the fields of a default section.

Mmm, good idea for Jens to extend his multilingual extension ;-)

Mmm, good idea for Jens to extend his multilingual extension ;-)

Thing is, how do I know which fields you want to translate?

Also, for 10+ languages, my extension might currently not be a good choice, performance wise, since you have to output all fields for all languages in a single datasource.

I'm currently experimenting with a new workflow to avoid such issues going forward, but this also means keeping the on-the-fly magic to a bare minimum (more datasources to set up manually for developers) and no longer providing a fallback for missing translations (which is bad practice anyway, according to Google).

Default all I think. To delete fields is less more work than create them.

Btw this 'feature request' is with a big wink. But I think it can be a great extra for the multilingual extension.

Performance is idd a concern, I have to test that.

Probably if performance fails, I will make a main section with only a title or so and load the complete entry through datasource chaining. Or seperate sections for each language and filter datasource on the language param.

Enough possibilities and that is what I love the most from Symphony.

Enough possibilities and that is what I love the most from Symphony.

Exactly. I'm actually on a quest to get rid of as many extensions (even my own ;) and doing as much with the core as possible.

I'm actually on a quest to get rid of as many extensions

Same here. First I'll try to achieve it with the core and through smart use of templates.

I'm actually on a quest to get rid of as many extensions (…) as possible

+1