Search

I'm struggling with the setup for a website with 10 languages. My biggest concern is performance.

My idea is:

• A main section with the default language and settings (in menu, publish, etc)
  • 9 association fields to make the association with a translation for each language
  • Only execute a language datasource if the proper language parameter is set

Or

• A main section with the default language and settings (in menu, publish, etc)
  • Translation section with an association to the main language (we only need 2 sections that way)
  • Execute the translation datasource with filter on language paramater

What will be the best setup to achieve this?

Frontend Localisation + Multilingual fields.

Any 'real life' proof with a lot of languages for the multilingual field approach?

Front end Localisation and Multilingual Fields never gives me the feeling that it is intuitive. But mostly based on the making of the templates (and that was 3 years ago).

All sites that I've built required at least 2 languages. Here's a site that required 5, but only 4 are active at the moment:

http://s-karp.com/

Thanks Vlad for the example. Looks great.

10 is quite a lot - wouldn't want to do that myself ;)

The page with the most languages I've built yet uses 5 languages (including chinese and korean) and performs quite good: ifgroup.org

It uses the "Frontend Localisation + Multilingual fields"-Setup Vlad mentioned above.

But you should keep in mind that there probably won't be enough space for 10 language-tabs in the sidebar, but that's a rather small conceptual flaw ;)

The bigger problem with multilingual fields (at least for me) is the current issue regarding the translation of associated values in the datasources.

But your workflow might not rely on this as much as mine does, so it doesn't have to be critical bug for you.

Thanks Roman for the example, and it is blazing fast. Nice work!

Fast and beautiful!

Thanks Roman for the example, and it is blazing fast. Nice work!

Fast and beautiful!

Thank you!
But I must admit that they do have a pretty fast server that does more for the snappy pageloads than I have done ;)

But I must admit that they do have a pretty fast server

Some jealousy here. But still an awesome example. Love the typography, the design and responiveness

Multilingual Field works brilliant, most I had was 4 languages though. It's one of the essentials for me. What you'd have to pay attention would be things like blogs potentially, where at times you might know that they're not really interested in translating content, but separate posts / language. Because having a lot of blank entries doesn't really look nice in the backend, especially if you allow users to use their own language in backend with backend language switcher.