Search

A new extension, "CommonMark" is now available for download. Comments and feedback can be left here but if you discover any issues, please post it on the issue tracker.

Nice!

CommonMark updated to version 0.1.1 on 4th of December 2014

Hi @jens, I hadn't come across CommonMark before. Practically speaking is this extension essentially a new parser, or are there syntax changes/additions that would effect something like the markdown Editor extension? i.e. like Github flavoured markdown (which has additions like ~~ for strike).

I did have a look over the website but it's all a bit vague!

Practically speaking is this extension essentially a new parser, or are there syntax changes/additions that would effect something like the markdown Editor extension? i.e. like Github flavoured markdown (which has additions like ~~ for strike).

It's a new parser.

As far as I know, CommonMark doesn't include changes or additions to the original Markdown syntax. It's basically a spec to make sure every parser renders the original Markdown syntax in the same way (which hasn't been the case before).

It was called Standard Markdown first, but the creator of Markdown forced them to rename the spec because of personal issues.

So it's not a special flavour of Markdown with additional features. It's just plain Markdown, but rendered consistently by all parsers based on the spec.

that would effect something like the markdown Editor extension

Not sure, will check and get back to you soon.

Further reading...

philsturgeon.uk/markdown/2014/11/30/state-of-markdown

that would effect something like the markdown Editor extension

Yes it does, but it's pretty easy to fix (add a selector in the editor code)

CommonMark updated to version 0.1.3 on 30th of December 2014

CommonMark updated to version 0.1.4 on 6th of March 2015

CommonMark updated to version 0.1.5 on 3rd of May 2015

CommonMark updated to version 0.1.6 on 19th of July 2015

CommonMark updated to version 1.0.0 on 22nd of August 2015

By the way, Symphony can also use custom text formatters.