Search

I have a use case that recurrent: Having to create bogus entries just to test things out (either when developing for the core or a client).

Would this help anybody else ? We would not have the choice to create code on a per field basis, but we are really tired of having to copy paste things from lorem upsum website and download images from placehold.it. This can all be automated...

Having feedback on this may be the kick in the butt in need to create it...

That does sound like a good idea! placeholder text and images would be great. Would this be a create dummy entry button next to the new button maybe?

Would this be a create dummy entry button next to the new button maybe?

You are reading my mind Andrew :)

And I'd like to make it customizable as much as possible.

Have you seen GenerateData.com? It’s open-source (albeit GPL'd rather than MIT), and the highly-normalized approach it takes to data is very close to Symphony’s approach. Perhaps you could take a look at it as a starting point for a similar extension for Symphony. I definitely think it’s a good idea.

It wouldn't fully replicate what you're trying to achieve because it doesn't support file upload fields, but I find the [Form Filler extension] for Chrome a huge time saver.

I use it to test frontend forms mostly, but I have used it on the Symphony admin interface on more than one occasion. It's quite configurable but in general I've found its out-of-the-box behaviour to give me exactly what I need.

generatedata.com

It looks nice, but they do not seems to have an API :(

Form Filler extension

Looks nice!! I'll give it a try! But the lack of file/image support is much needed!

Thanks for your inputs guys!

No API, but the code is on GitHub, so you could at least see how they are generating their data if you need a starting point. :)

@tachyondecay good point.