Search

Hey All,

It's been a long time. I have a small freelance project that I built on Symphony 2.3.0 a while back that the client never launched. Now they came back to me in the last couple months wanting to launch it, and I am trying to get it updated to a recent version of Symphony. I successfully updated it to 2.3.6 but I have had no success in getting it updated to 2.4.0 or 2.5.3.

I rebased the additions I made for the site on top of the two versions, followed the directions to pull down the appropriate extensions, but when I hit the install path in my browser, it get errors.

On 2.4.0 I get the following error:

Fatal error: Call to a member function get() on a non-object in symphony/lib/boot/defines.php on line 249

On 2.5.3 I get the following error:

Fatal error: Cannot make static method Symphony::initialiseLog() non static in class Installer in install/lib/class.installer.php on line 649

Can anyone help me determine and fix the issue?

Let me know what other details might be helpful.

Thanks, Alex

You should try to check the extensions first. Try to disable as many as possible and see if the error persists (doesn’t work with fields you have in use that are provided by extensions).

Recently you have to use the integration or dev-branches for a lot of extensions to make them work in the current symphony version. Sometimes other folks provide updated forks. The whole extension-ecosystem has become a bit messy recently.

Hope this gives you a start.

On 2.4.0 I get the following error:

Can you confirm that your index.php file looks like this?

On 2.5.3 I get the following error:

Can you confirm what your installer class looks like? The 2.5.3 installer does not contain that function at that line.

Also note in that time we've pushed the minimum PHP to 5.3 (soon to be 5.4), could this be affecting you?

D’oh, I’ve overread the installer part :)

@brendo, I took a look, 2.4.0 and my index.php file matches up. It also appears my install/lib/class.installer.php matches up with the one you linked to.

Currently I am running PHP 5.3.29. Previously I had tried both version 5.3 and 5.4, with the same results.

Can you confirm you have a manifest/config.php file and it is readable?

Basically the line that throwing the following error is because $Configuration is not accessible. This doesn't make sense because it's defined in bundle on line 13 and then the defines file is included 11 lines later, here

Fatal error: Call to a member function get() on a non-object in symphony/lib/boot/defines.php on line 249

When are you receiving this error? What was the update procedure like?

I do have a manifest/config.php file and it is readable.

In terms of my update process, I would check out a new branch tracking the symphony's master branch. I would rebase my work onto a git tag e.g. git rebase --onto 2.4. Then I would run git submodule update --init --recursive and git submodule update --recursive per the readme instructions. Then I would load the install/ url e.g. http://localhost/intall/ in a browser. That's when I would get the above errors. I have also tried making sure I have the extensions checked out the tag that is intended for that version of Symphony.

This is a bit of a last resort, but if you checkout a clean 2.4 symphony build into another directory, and then run a diff tool between your updated codebase and the clean build, does it throw up any differences in the core files?

I tried checking out a fresh version of 2.4.0, and diffing it with the my project on 2.4.0. There were no differences in any of the core directories. At this point I am just rebuilding the Sections, Data Sources, and Events, and then I'll copy over the other items from my works space. Thanks for your help though.

With the same extensions? It's an incredibly curious case!