Search

Hi,

I have been using Symphony for a while now but I was never faced with Membership. Now I need to use it, thus I installed and enabled the Members extension. I also discovered that the members.form.xsl utilities could save me a lot of time thus I also installed it in my utilities folder. I started by creating a Members section and created a page that uses the login form (with an existing user (created from the backend by the administrator). This worked fine.

In a second step I tried the members-form-register. To do so I created a members-new event with the following Filters set: - Send Notification Email - Members:Lock Role - Members: Lock Activation - Filter XSS:Fuil if malicious inputis detected. I attached this event to my register page that is /members/register Here is its content:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
    xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform">

<xsl:import href="../utilities/members.form-register.xsl"/>

<xsl:template match="/">

<xsl:call-template name="members-form-register"/>
        </xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>

As I thought the forms provided by the members-forms package was taking care of everything (or almost), I expected, during the registration, that an email will be automatically sent to the user attempting to register himself based on the email he gives in the register form.

Apparently it is not the case. Thus I have a few questions:

Question 1: should I add some lines in the members.form-register.xsl ?

Question 2: If yes what about adding the following lines as suggested by the members-new event:

<input name="send-email[sender-email]" value="fields[email]" type="hidden" />
<input name="send-email[sender-name]" value="fields[author]" type="hidden" /> 
<input name="send-email[reply-to-email]" value="fields[email]" type="hidden" />
<input name="send-email[reply-to-name]" value="fields[author]" type="hidden"  /> 
<input name="send-email[subject]" value="You are being contacted" type="hidden" /> 
<input name="send-email[body]" value="fields[message]" type="hidden" /> 
<input name="send-email[recipient]"  value="fred" type="hidden" />

Question 3: should the value on the send-email[recipient] be set to the username of the registering user i.e. fields[identifiant] (identifiant being the handle of my username field in Members) ?

Question 3: is there anything else to take into account?

The email mechanism works with the contact form and the registration is effectly done (but with no e-mail sent)

Thank you for help.

Hi Jaaf,

Whilst the email functionality provided by symphony works for simple stuff, using it with the members extension might be a bit complicated. You don't really want to send the email content with the form. I would suggest you have a look at Email Template Manager.

This will allow you to use the datasources to take the 'account activation' codes if you enable activation, and other details. I think once you set that up - you should be ready to go.

Did you check the permission of the event? Go to System>Member Roles>Public, is the checkbox checked for "create new" in the "members-new" row? This can solve the creation of the member from front-end. For the notification, do you use the Email Template Manager?

@gunglien Thank you for answer. I will have a look at Email Template Manager. @ vincentd Thank you too. The permission is correctly set.

@both of you: I realized that the lines suggested in the event page are for sending email to author recipients. Not member recipients. This is not a great trouble because my site has a small number of users and I can validate myself or sent the email manually with the code to check the validity of the declared email when in doubt. After I have looked at Email Template Manager I may change my mind.

BTW I have trouble understanding the concept of "recovery code". What does Symphony mean with "recovery"?

Recovery code is sent to the member so he can reset his password if he doesn't remember it.

Yes, ETM is your friend. Once you create an email template, you will automatically have a special filter which can be attached to your registration event.

BTW, have you seen the big picture in the Members Wiki?

Thank you everybody,

That's fine. ETM is all I need. It works perfectly.