Search

Hi, is it possible to prevent users from accessing the backend?

The story: I'm trying to build a password protected area with file-uploads. Special users (like clients, friends, etc.) can use a frontend-login that will bring them to e.g. www.mydomain.de/files/ and depending on their username they will see a file-list. But I don't want them to access www.mydomain.de/symphony/. Is this possible?

What about creating a special user section with passwords and other login details for those who should not be able to access the backend?

You mean, instead of using symphonys users, creating my own users within a section? I love the idea to use symphonys users, because it's more easy and elegant.

btw: What does the "Allow remote login via ..." in the authors options mean?

You mean, instead of using symphonys users, creating my own users within a section?

Exactly.

I love the idea to use symphonys users, because it's more easy and elegant.

That right but I think we'll have to wait for an advanced membership extension until this will be possible.

btw: What does the "Allow remote login via ..." in the authors options mean?

Users can directly access the Symphony admin interface via this link without the need to enter their user name or password.

Within the next month or so I will begin work on converting my Members CS Beta for 1.7 into a functional Members Extension for 2. I debated heavily over members section verse members as authors in 1.7 and ultimately decided a member section was best to allow for any number of fields (a.k.a. user profile etc.). So, if you do not need fields in addition to the ones available for authors, I would stick to creating an extension to alter author permissions.

Thank you guys!

I think I have to choose the not that elegant way with the section-users. I'd love to build an extension to alter author permissions, but I can't ;)

...just in this second i decide to downgrade to 1.7. There I can deny the section-access for the users (I'd love to see this helpful feature in the Core of 2.0) and I have multiple file-uploads.. two problems solved!

Damn it. I loved the idea to build this site with 2.0, maybe next time.

Edit: No, i will stay with 2.0. Symphony 1.7 does not have the author-custom field...... maybe extensions will come and help me.

Isn't there any dirty chance to alter author-privileges? Like the /symphony/index.php say something like if ($_SESSION['$user'] == 'friend' OR user == 'client') { echo = "You cannot access this site!"; } ?