Search

A new Extension, “Multiselect to Checkboxes” is now available for download. Comments and feedback can be left here but if you discover any issues, please post it on the issue tracker.

This is a bit premature but I made a jQuery extension at work which replaces multiselects with a list of checkboxes. It should be released at the end of the week as an extension.

See it in action at vimeo.com

Cool.

Checked it out, looks great! Can’t wait to give it a try!

Looks good, Fazal. The reset is genius, solves one of those problems that annoys me all the time.

Fazal - this is awesome! Looking forward to trying it out.

Hey Doug! small world, I used to go to LCC (LCP back then, 2002). I was in the first set of alumni to graduate from Digital Media Production!

Sweet! I’m in the US now so I don’t run into any LCC alums. A friend of mine was in the Print Management program during the name transition and he (as well as a number of the other students) demanded their degrees still say LCP as it was the name people recognized.

It’s fine for me because on this side of the Atlantic I just say, “London” and I get ooo’s. :D

I release the extension today. Its listed in the extensions directory and can be downloaded from github

I want to thank Nick Dunn for his input whilst creating this extension. Nice one Dunn.

I forgot to mention, this relies on the jQuery library (not included) and should work with the latest symphony release.

For some reason I can’t get this to work.

I have the latest version from GitHub, I’ve enabled it in Symphony, but my multi-selects stay as they are.

Any idea where the fault might be? I didn’t see any errors in Firefox.

Do you have the latest Symphony from Github? Version 2.0.2 didn’t come with jQuery in the core, but has since been updated on Github. Check to see if /symphony/assets/jquery.js exists…

It does not. So, in theory, I should be able to grab the latest build from the GitHub repository, run the update.php file and that’ll make it all work?

I’m a bit hesitant because when I first started this site I thought I’d grab that version but it seemed to be missing a lot of the workspace files so I ended up just using the version on the website.

I don’t think it’s a good idea to recommend using the unstable source from git.

I was always under the impression that although not “official”, the “master” branch was always stable, and the “integration” branch not?

My impression is that the master branch is “rather stable”. In other words: It hasn’t been stable all the time. So I prefer the official release (2.0.2 at the time of writing) for production use.

Right-so. In which case apologies — as Rowan implies, you should hold back until 2.0.3 for when jQuery is included in the stable core.

OK. Thanks for the tips guys.

One last question: Any word on when 2.0.3 is going to hit?

Is there a way to make this not conflict with the Mediathek plugin? Right now if you have a Mediathek select box where you can select multiple and this is plugin is running is overwrites the Mediathek field.

Fazal, might I make a suggestion — in line 11 of the JS you check for Reflection field here you could also check for the Mediathek field.

However these checks should really be outside of the init logic, and inside the actual selector where you apply the logic. Could you pass the selector of appropriate select elements to the selectToCheckbox function itself?

This way the logic that chooses the selects to apply the extension to, and the logic itself, are separated more.

Nick, do you have a quick work-around I could use? I tried modifying myself but I couldn’t get it to work.