Search

Hi, this is most likely a basic question but I’ve been trying to figure it out for a while. I’ve installed WampServer 2 then I attempted to install symphony. It didn’t work, so to test the databases I tried word-press, which worked perfect after a while. I went back to symphony and tried again, this time managing to get onto the index page.

The problem is when I click to go onto the admin section or any other section it returns a 404. This is after clicking admin.

The requested URL /symphony/symphony/publish/articles/ was not found on this server.

These folders do not exist?

I’m assuming it’s a wamp problem. I downloaded the latest version of symphony directly from here.

These are not physical folders. Symphony should have created an .htaccess file in the symphony folder taking care of the backend URLs. This file should look like this:

### Symphony 2.0 - Do not edit ###

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>

RewriteEngine on
    RewriteBase /symphony/

### DO NOT APPLY RULES WHEN REQUESTING "favicon.ico"
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} favicon.ico [NC]
    RewriteRule .* - [S=14] 

### CHECK FOR TRAILING SLASH - Will ignore files
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !/symphony$
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !(.*)/$
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ /symphony/$1/ [L,R=301]

### MAIN REWRITE - This will ignore directories
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteRule ^(.*)/$ /symphony/index.php?page=$1&%{QUERY_STRING}    [L]

</IfModule>

######      

Do you have this file?

Yes, I have that file. If that’s the case then what could be causing the 404 when I click each of the links?

Thanks for the quick reply also!

Are the frontend pages working at all? If you click on “Archive”, does this work? If this is not the case, then your (virtual) host does not interprete the .htaccess files at all. It should be configured similar to this:

<Directory "/path/to/your/root">
    Options FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride All
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

I hope that helps.

The only frontend page that works is the index and debug. Archive, about etc.. result in the 404.

I understand what you mean I think, but wouldn’t the virtual host I’m using have to interprete the .htaccess file if word-press worked?

Also unsure where to configure the host as the only options are available via phpMyAdmin. Sorry for being so helpless at this.

Thanks again for the quick response.

You are welcome. But at the moment (it’s 3 o’clock in the morning here in Germany) I am as helpless as you are. I am on my way to bed. I hope other members can help you, or maybe I will have the right idea tomorrow.

Do not give up. Symphony is worth it!

I can definitely agree that it’s worth it - & that’s only from my experience with the demo that was on here a while ago.

It also seems like it has a community far better than other content management systems too!

I guess its the virtual host that’s throwing everything off, I just have to hope someone on here has it working on wamp.

Thanks for your help so far anyway!

Maybe a search for WAMP, .htaccess and mod_rewrite will help you get on your way. A quick search gave me the following:

Check that mod_rewrite is enabled:

Ensure that your Apache configuration file is set up to allow .htaccess to use mod_rewrite:

I expect that your WordPress install is using GET variables rather than running with clean URLs. Unlike WordPress, Symphony requires clean URLs to map URL strings to XSLT parameters. To accomplish this, it uses mod_rewrite rules. Once this is configured properly, it sounds like you’ll be good to go.

This article seems like a good step-by-step: Friendly URLs with WAMP & Apache

Sorry for the delayed reply. Thanks a lot for that information & links, I’ll have to try it in the morning as its 3am here also.

I’ll let you know how it goes. It looks promising from what I’ve just read anyway.

It’s working now! It just required the mod_rewrite being enabled in apache.

Thanks a lot!

Nice to hear you got it working! Have fun!