Search

Hi,

New to the forum. I’m an admin, not a developer. Everything I create looks like a tax form anyway - why embarrass myself?

Could use a hint or two. Our designer delivered our site (.zip) with easy instructions to run install.php. First attempt Win2003R2, Apache 2.2, PHP 5.2.x, MySQL 5.x, etc.

Problem: The home page loads fine and looks great, but any link leads to “404: Not Found.”

Feh - looks like a platform issue. So we tried on Ubuntu 9.04 LAMP with necessary prereq’s. Install ran without a hitch. Same thing - very nice homepage, but click on any link and it’s:

Not Found The requested URL /about/ was not found on this server. Apache/2.2.11 (Ubuntu) PHP/5.2.6-3ubuntu4.1 with Suhosin-Patch Server at myserver Port 80

I’ve got about 15-18 hrs into this one. Can anyone throw me a bone?

Make sure you have AllowOverride ALL in Apache’s httpd.conf otherwise the .htaccess, responsible for clean URL’s, will be totally ignored.

Thanks. I’m away from the office now but will try 1st thing tomorrow. Looking foward to really learning what this CMS can do for us.

Nope - still not working. Same error message. Restarts/reboots didn’t help.

I admittedly don’t understand the mechanism used by Symphony to render directories - they do not seem to physically exist in the root, so I’m guessing they are symlinks or virtual directories?

Are there any files/folders I should look for, just to be sure the package installation worked properly? I didn’t receive any error messages during the package installation, but I don’t know how to verify that the creative content from my developer was properly installed.

If I’ve missed any administrative documentation, I apologize - it sure would be helpful at this point.

~thanks~

The site structure (i.e. clean URLs, as mentioned by Alistair) of a Symphony website is somewhat “virtual” – this is achieved by rewrites in the main .htaccess.

Do you have an .htaccess file in your site root? It should have been created upon installation.

Is mod_rewrite enabled?

Thanks michael-e, nickdunn, and Alistair …

Got it working. The emphasis on .htaccess and mod_rewrite pointed me in the right direction. And now I have a better undertanding of how mod_rewrite works.

Problems and discoveries:

• corrupt libmysql.dll on the Windows platform (unrelated but fixed)

• ‘AllowOverride ALL` was listed twice in httpd.conf - this ultimately caused the problem. Looks like is applies to different dirs/scope?

• I stumbled around trying to figure out how to install the 3rd party XSLT tools/libs in PHP5. Apparently this is no longer necessary?

• phpinfo() was helpful in providing clues.

The site is up and running now - thanks again!

Great :-)

I’m having the same problem however it doesn’t work no matter what I try to do. Any suggestions?

What’s your environment (OS, Apache, PHP, and MySQL versions; Apache modules; etc)?

Ubuntu 10.4 LTS 64bit (Linode 512 in case you’re interested)

Apache 2.2.14 PHP 5.3.2 MySQL 5.1.41

Apache mod_rewrite is enabled (double checked)

Website is http://immanuelsmith.com

Figured out my problem. In the .htaccess file, RewriteBase was set to /symphony whereas it should have been / which just caused a recursive loop on all of my links.