Search

As a ‘soon to be wordpress user’, the only thing left for me to learn about symphony to finally get rid of WP is the URL parameter/navigation schema. I mostly do really simple things.

Please bare with me for a while since I’m new to both programming and the mvc pattern.

I’ve created an articles section with a data source which retrieves 20 results per page for my blog page.

It’s working fine. I can see the articles in the mysite/articles/ url. But now I want to get single article pages with the mysite/articles/title/ url

Should I create another data source to display one result so that this will be my single article data source?

I haven’t been able to pull it out with the url parameters. There are option for these parameters both in data sources and in pages. Where should I edit them? Should the parameters correspond to the values of section fields?

That was one of my first questions as well. Nils explained this well to me in this post (response #7). In addition, there is a tutorial by Bauhaus that is helpful located here.

got it thanks!

This question has come up a few times before — once it’s understood, everything else follows, since this is one of things you’ll do most often with Symphony.

I wonder if a definitive “Master/Detail” tutorial would be appropriate.

the line I was looking for was:

Filter Entries by: select title > Add Item > Value > {$title} (this is your URL parameter)

Personally, I would be better off with better documentation. Most tutorial are very good (Bau’s, DesignProjectX’s and Skyler Richter’s), but information as basic as this should be -well- documented. That’s what made me stay with WP so long, all reference (the ‘whats’ and ‘whys’) you need is in the codex. Tutorials are for the ‘how tos’

If project managers are interested, I volunteer to fill in a couple of blanks.

As suggested, I have created a tutorial that covers the basics of displaying a single entry in Symphony.

@pedrokoblitz, the intention is to bring together a collection of tutorials into the Documentation section on this site. It is a work in progress, and we could definitely use more help in this area. Please let us know if the tutorials created so far have been useful and where they might be improved.

Nice one bauhouse! I’d consider mentioning the term “Master/Detail view” as this is what RoR and ASP.NET developers would be comfortable with. Also, there’s no mention of creating the Data Source — a useful addition would be explaining how one can create a DS that takes a URL Param as a filter. If the URL Param is set it returns one entry, if it’s not set it returns the list.

I updated the tutorial and changed the name of it to Master/Detail Views in Symphony. Hopefully, this is more complete.

Wow, great work. Bravo!