Search

I’m go in the matrix, and come out with some Symphony. im like neo sometime ago

For me it started with XSLT. I found out that you could find XML-files of your WoW-character on wowarmory.com, and shortly after I noticed that the Armory-website wasn’t built with standard HTML. It was fun to use a new language but I didn’t see any advantages with it, especially since some browsers didn’t support it.

Then I found Symphony via The Big Noob. It was perfect for me since it let me use XSLT without worrying about browser-support and I didn’t have to build my own admin for every website (which imo is the most boring part of web development).

and I didn’t have to build my own admin for every website

Woah yes, this is a big bonus. Ruby on Rails has its “scaffold” construct, but Symphony is three steps more awesome.

I used to watch the community of the MyTopix forum software developed by Wilhelm Murdoch and Gene Shepherd. They had plans to develop a kick-ass CMS, but then they decided not to because they found Symphony. I checked it out, liked it, learned XSLT, and loved it.

Not sure if this is totally related - but Who’s Online? I got a nice surprise just now when I looked north and noticed a cool little widget floating just above the smoke.

I’m proficient TXP developer, but I keep hitting a lot of limits. I’m pretty sure I found Symphony through the textpattern forums.

I found this email from ~March 2005:

We are happy to announce the Public Beta release of Symphony…

Which also included a serial key :-)

Symphony is the 4th CMS I’m working with. I began with WordPress some years ago, turned to Typolight and ended up with ExpressionEngine. I used EE for one or two years but never really got into it. So it was this monday I had another trouble with EE when I decided to look for something new.

I blogger mentioned Symphony to be a promising solution. So I took a closer look at it. Right now I’m learning XML and XSLT. I never worked with them and it’s quite cool. But there’s still a lot to do before I can bring my website to Symphony. Hope it’ll be of value.

Saw a post from Nick on the Boagworld forum that mentioned Symphony. Pretty interested as we use an asp.net based CMS in house that makes extensive use of XML/XSLT. Only just got round to checking it out. Time to make my first something with it I think…

I used TextPattern as well and heard about Symphony in the forums there. But I only started using Symphony after reading Nils’s comment at praegnanz.de.

I was searching for a great open source cms with xstl.

I had (still have!) a site for which XML/XSLT was just the technology needed to get the most out of the data, but I had no clue about where to find a CMS that might exploit it.

A query was posted on the Godbit forum and Nathan Smith (a[nother] TXP’er, I believe) pointed me to Symphony. Athough I couldn’t find a way to use it for my initial interest (alas!), I ended up using it for a different project.

At my previous job I had a co-worker who was mainly a front-end kind of guy. He would do markup and basically map the site out in Symphony. Then I would take that and lay it into Rails apps. I never knew how powerful it was until the last few weeks.

Now I think I can reach for this CMS on 95% of the projects I come across and dread the idea of using Rails’ default templating system.

My current employer is very impressed with how quickly I can have every bit of content on a client’s site managed with this tool.

My current employer is very impressed with how quickly I can have every bit of content on a client’s site managed with this tool.

Rock on; I like to hear that!

That’s a quote for the home page: Symphony throws Ruby off the Rails.

Symphony throws Ruby off the Rails.

Brilliant!

Hi guys. Found out about Symphony as www.westminster.gov.uk are using it on their new site. I work in local gov so was curious to see what they were doing.

I’m an experienced Expression Engine user and I’ve been looking for a nice free CMS that would compliment EE for the clients who wish to go down the free route and Symphony looks like a winner.

Clean, lightweight, simple backend.

Loving it so far although my XSLT knowledge is minimal.

@stevieg_83

Welcome!

Please feel free to post a thread any kind of XSL questions. You’ll find the more comfortable you get with xsl, the broader the horizons with Syphony.

Hi guys. I forgot how I found Symphony. I think it was when I googling ‘symfony php framework’ and wrongly enter symphony. I came from Wordpress and Textpattern. I’m still learning this framework and looking forward to using it for my next projects. Oh, I code with Ruby on Rails, too.

Like everyone else, I had been trying out different cms solutions for a good amount of time a few years back. I tried drupal, which i thought was going to be it. As i delved in deeper to that, simple tasks became more complex to achieve. Tried wp, textpattern, modx, and i’m sure some other ones.

then i found symphony in its v1.7 days (transitioning from 1.5, i think), probably around early 2007 from the big noob - though it doesn’t seem like it’s being maintained much (symphony link is linking to 21degrees still).

Anyway, the biggest draw for me was the fact that it used XSLT which I had been using for about a year at that point so i understood it pretty decently. Even in the 1.7 days, i thought it was the shit from a usability standpoint. then when v2 beta was released, i was even more blown away.
I’ve tried converting people here and there, but they don’t really seem to want to really try it out for some strange reason.

it’s a great tool that makes sense.

I’m a PHP developer and work for Brian Z. I’ve done a lot of custom b2b PHP/ColdFusion work and also development with WordPress. Brian and I serve about 6,000 constituents locally and more worldwide which are managed by a staff of about 100 people. Technical aptitude varies widely and we have a very fragmented data management structure (many silos working on MS-SQL and MYSQL databases).

We tried Typo3 for a while and found it to be powerful but convoluted and too demanding for our non-technical administrative staff. Symphony allows us to streamline the work process for our administrative staff. Generating XML feeds from the databases gave us common datasources (and allowed us to maintain license agreements).

I really cannot express how impressed not only with the functionality and flexibility of symphony, but also the quality OOP PHP work (though we just have to get you guys to comment a little more under the hood! ;-) ). Thanks for the good work.