Search

Hi,

Having a heck of a time trying to get stuffs working. 1st install attempt in a subdir symphony went ok, but my username/pass wouldn’t work after install. Tried safari 4 and ff3.5. Deleted everything, wiped db, installed again from FF. Login worked, but I get errors when trying to access anything:

[Wed Jul 15 11:11:52 2009] [error] [client 192.168.254.116] File does not exist: /Library/WebServer/Sites/symphony/symphony/publish

Running on leopard server w/ mod_rewrite enabled. Tweaked config and sudo apachectl graceful‘d many times.

Anyhow, the reason I was installing was to pretty much find out the answer to a question on functionality:

Does symphony allow you to setup multiple authors and control visibility on their content? I’d like to setup authors and let them create content, but they must not be able to see eachother’s content.

Symphony looks great, can’t wait to use it!

Thanks, Trevor

Did the file /symphony/.htaccess get created properly during installation?

Does symphony allow you to setup multiple authors and control visibility on their content? I’d like to setup authors and let them create content, but they must not be able to see eachother’s content.

Setting up multiple authors, yes. Limiting their ability to edit other entries, no. There are a couple of extensions like these two, however they won’t quite do what you are after.

Yes, .htaccess was created during installation. I opened it up and played with it a bit.

Kind of a long shot, but did you d/l from Github or this site? I have had Github’s file compressor do horrible things to Symphony’s file structure (ie totally fubar the installation).

Regarding limiting author access, you always have the option of creating an admin/editing interface through the frontend (not using Symphony’s own admin interface). Going that route is more work, but you are really only limited by your imagination and XSL skills (and there are plenty here to help you with the latter if you need it).

Pretty sure I grabbed the zip from the site, not github. I’ll redownload and try again though.

Back to author permissions, does the current version (or an extension) prevent authors from editing each other’s content? I’d be curious to follow your suggestion but I’m pretty limited on time :/

Check out the Members extension, if you’re willing to put in the work to build a front end for it. I believe it is what the Symphony CMS site is built on. And, obviously, we can’t edit each other’s content. You can see from the screen shots that there are event level permissions with fine grain control for editing, adding and deleting. Plus there are page level permissions. And you have the ability to create and assign roles for each member.

I should note that this works only for front end pages. This sort of system has not yet been created for the back end, as changes to the admin structure planned for Symphony 3 had likely preempted any plans there might have been for this as an officially released Symphony extension.

I imagine it would be possible to adapt the Members extension to create an Author Access extension to work with the admin area. But it might take some modifications to the core to make this possible. This is all guess work, since a have a fairly limited knowledge of the inner working of Symphony.

Back to author permissions, does the current version (or an extension) prevent authors from editing each other’s content?

Negatory. These extensions are “frontend” only, i.e. they allow you to build websites using Symphony which have member login functionality within them, but they do not touch the administrator (author/developer) login functionality to Symphony itself.

There’s a parallel discussion about using the System Date and System Author meta data that is automatically stored with each entry created in Symphony. At the moment the author_id isn’t used anywhere I don’t think, so I suggested adding the option at the user account level to toggle whether an author can see only their own entries, and can see all entries.

I’m not sure how much time it would take to implement, or indeed whether it should even be implemented, since it’s a stop-gap between what we have now and a full-featured UAC (user account control) layer which I’m fairly certain won’t be coming in Symphony 2.

What sort of site are you building that authors cannot see each other’s content?

Thanks for the comments.

I was hoping to use Symphony as a CMS for doctors to enter clinical studies. Various doctors from many clinics would be using it. I suppose it isn’t a big deal if doctors can see eachother’s content, but they definitely shouldn’t be able to edit eachother’s stuff.

The frontend would then pull in all clinical studies and allow them to be searchable.

I am trying to move online (inside a subfolder of my domain) my Symphony cms from local but I am getting this error:

Symphony Error: mod_rewrite is not enabled.

I have also tried to install a new symphony in the same host but I get again the same error. The database on my congig file seems correct and also the .htaccess file.

My hosting service says that the mod_rewrite service is on and suggested to add the code: RewriteBase /dir at the begining of htaccess file. But this doesn't solve this issue.

May my database's datas be incorrect?

enrico

I would ask your host to double check for you. The .htaccess sets an environment variable if mod rewrite is not available. If that variable exists, we kick you to an error page.

@brendo, when I looked at it the other day, it took me a while to understand it, because the env variable is named "positively" (HTTP_MOD_REWRITE), but Symphony doesn't check for a negative value (but only the existence of the variable, which is really misleading); in addition to that the var is not namespaced. What would you think about renaming it, e.g. to SYM_HTTP_MOD_REWRITE and changing the check in PHP to require the negative value?