Search

This is a feature request:

It's not always easy to locate a specific data source in the ?debug XML when building or debugging a site. I think it would be quite helpful to be able to hide and show data sources in debug mode. This way I could hide e. g. my navigation DS or other parts of the XML tree that are not connected to current problems or actions.

I'm thinking of a list with checkboxes for all data sources.

I do think something like code folding would be useful, but we have a slightly different take on this idea...

Allen says he uses AquaPath whenever he has to debug a complex XPath expression, and this requires some copy'n'paste effort to get that XML from the ?debug page. Since most browsers have native XPath support, I reckon a similar feature to what AquaPath provides could be done with pure javascript. On the debug page, you'd have a text input into which you can type any XPath expression and matching nodes will be highlighted and scrolled into view. This would work for any XML-ish code block.

It's not quite the same as code folding, but I think it might be a suitable compromise.

I'm all for some in browser code-folding or similar.

A simple addition that would make browsing the ?debug XML easier for me would be to add anchor links for each of the individual datasources, i.e., #navigation would take you to the <navigation> element. That would at least save some scrolling when you have large datasets.