Search

Is there a possibility to run an entire site of one page in symphony? In other words have all of your pages outside of the root be dynamic, running off of url-parameters.

You could probably use the Improved Page Resolve extension with a simple template that was able to serve all pages including the root and URL parameters controlling all other views. You’d want to have your data sources filtered by the URL params to keep the XML optimized, and keep templates fairly basic, since every page will be using these templates. I haven’t actually tried this, but based on similar past experiments, I think it’s possible.

I’m not sure if that answers your question.

Regarding DSs, you could also use the document() function to pull in other data in a dynamic way(even though i suppose having more server calls for that would somewhat defeat the purpose of a single page).

Thanks for the input. I’ll try it out.

Thanks for asking about this Z. We’ll get hacking on this manana.

Is there a specific URL structure you want to achieve then?

When we’ve done this in the past (using one page and passing many URL parameters as “modes” to render different views) things get messy very quickly. The two challenges we found: keeping your XSLT clean since you’ll end up having a lot of code, and overcoming performance problems of having so many Data Sources attached to a page and figuring out the combinations of URL parameters to enter into the “Required URL Parameter” box. Not something I want to repeat really.

I concur. I tried to do this a little when I first began experimenting with Symphony and decided it was too hard to manage.

Max and Nick,

Thanks for the warning. Given your experience with and my lack thereof I think we’ll take a multi-page route rather than a single page.

Brian and I really appreciate the feedback.