Search

A new Extension, “Field: Character Count Text Input” is now available for download. Comments and feedback can be left here but if you discover any issues, please post it on the issue tracker.

This is a pretty simple extension. It installs a field for counting characters in a text input field. There are limit and mode options, the limit is simply the maximum characters for the field, the mode, if set to strict, will make the message go red and indicate how many characters have been entered beyond the limit.

Screenshot

Character Count Field

Version: 1.1

Author: Eoghan O’Brien

Build Date: 2009-08-23

Requirements: Symphony 2.0.7

Installation

1. Upload the folder in this archive to your Symphony ‘extensions’ folder and rename it to charactercounter_textinput.

2. Enable it by selecting the “Field: Character Counter Text Input”, choose Enable from the with-selected menu, then click Apply.

3. You can now add a “Character Counter” field to your sections.

Change log

2009-08-23: Added customizable messages, use $1 for the limit number and $2 for the current count along with your own message, e.g. $1 characters recommended. $2/$1 remaining

2009-08-23: Updated /fields/field.charactercounter_textinput.php to extend the native text input field and overload the necessary methods (thanks nickdunn)

2009-09-01: Fixed: inputField class include was missing from field.charactercounter_textinput.php

Github

http://github.com/eoghanobrien/sym_charactercount_textinput/tree/master

i’m having trouble installing this extension. It doesn’t seem to want to show up in my extensions list. I have a fresh install of v2.0.6 and my table prefix is not the default sym_ if that makes a difference.

Is the extension folder named correctly? I think it should be charactercount_textinput, i.e., not sym_charactercount_textinput.

ya, i saw that in the readme and it’s named correctly. still not getting anything. I even deleted the current folder, then reuploaded the correctly named folder and cleared my cache, but still no dice.

edit. just read the requirements in eoghan’s post, and it says needs 2.0.7. so does that mean the master version needs to be used for this extension?

@wtdan I haven’t tested either the Text Input or Textarea Character Counters with versions prior to 2.0.7. I’d recommend you update to 2.0.7 anyway though, I recently updated from 2.0.2 - 2.0.7 and there was nothing to it.

Symphony 2.0.7? Do you travel in time???

Symphony 2.0.7? Do you travel in time???

I think he might be referring to the integration branch, but it’s probably best not to refer to it as 2.0.7 so it does not create confusion.

I don’t think that this is a good idea, because things might be different when 2.0.7 is indeed released. So this naming convention is not very bulletproof.

That’s right. 2.0.7 does not exist. Integration branch should only ever be referred to as such, and should not be used except for testing purposes.

Character Counter: Text Input updated to v1.1.1 on Github!

Field: Character Counter Text Input updated to version 1.2 on 30th of November 2009

Hi all,

Appreciate that this extension is likely not being maintained any more - but I'd love to be able to introduce this functionality into a site I'm working on. It's currently running 2.2.1, this extension throws out errors - is there something comparable I could use to limit the character entry on a field? If not I might look into getting this one working, but thought I'd check first.

Nathan

Hi Nathan; If I'm not mistaken the textbox field; supports the character count. I use it's multilingual variant and it's quite good to limit text-counts for Meta Description lengths etc.

Ah of course, hadn't thought to check out the textbox (I also use it for multilingual) - as I've never needed the feature before. Thanks!