Search

I'm sure it has been posted here in the beta forum before. But I've been searching for a while now and I didn't find an appropriate answer:

1. What are the minimum server requirements for running Symphony 2?
  2. What are the ideal server settings for running Symphony 2?

Something like "PHP 5.2, MySQL 4.1, ..."

I believe:

• PHP 5 or greater
  • MySQL 3.23 or greater
  • XSL
  • zLib
  • mod_rewrite
  • safe_mode off

PHP 5 or greater

To be specific it is PHP 5.1.4 or greater. We might bump that up to 5.2 in the near future as 5.1 is over 2 years old now and 5.3 is just around the corner.

MySQL 3.23 or greater

Actually, this is now 4.1 or greater. Things might work in 3.23, but we don't really support it. Again, 3.23 is many years old. We use MySQL 5+ on our servers.

Timely question Nils! I just had to search for this today regarding a client's server and was happy to find some culmination of wisdom on the topic.

So it looks like S2's minimum requirements are -

• PHP 5.1.4 or greater (How important is it that we fight for 5.2 Alistair; is this change imminent and slated for rev6?)
  • MySQL 4.1 or greater
  • XSL (From S1.7 install notes: "An XSLT Processor must be installed, such as ...LibXSLT (PHP5).")
  • zLib (" A Massively Spiffy Yet Delicately Unobtrusive Compression Library." Is this fairly common on most web servers? Is it required for S2 to work at all?)
  • mod_rewrite
  • safe_mode off

What about the platform of the server box? I'm probably showing my soft server underbelly here, but does it matter whether it's a Unix, Apache, or Windows run box?

As always, thanks for any insights.

Clayton

How important is it that we fight for 5.2 Alistair; is this change imminent and slated for rev6?

Very important. I have not decided yet, but I think RC1 (rev6) will recommend 5.2 and support for 5.1.x will be phased out. Currently there is nothing in Symphony that will not work in 5.1, so it would be silly to purposely introduce something that is 5.2 only, however the 5.1.x branch is over 2 years old and with 5.3 just around the corner (and containing some really awesome stuff), I don't see a reason to keep supporting 5.1.x.

does it matter whether it's a Unix, Apache, or Windows run box?

We run on *nix with both Apache and Litespeed servers. Usually we do some testing on Windows using XAMP as well. There are a few things on Windows that could cause us problems, however RC1 should work fine on Windows. Symphony will NOT run on IIS!

Is this fairly common on most web servers? Is it required for S2 to work at all?

Zlib is needed for all the gzip related functions, which Symphony makes use of in some places. I am fairly certain that 99% of servers have it enabled, since the Zlib library allows for output compression which can lower bandwidth usage.

Thanks for the additional details Alistair.

RC1 should work fine on Windows

would this apply to rev5 as well?

I think so. I have run rev5 on XAMP. There is nothing in Symphony that is OS specific.

Great. Thanks for the clarification.

Best, Clayton